Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgraded brakes question

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SSV Sedan
I was wondering what would be the best brake upgrade for a series 1 ve ssv that doesn't require me to sell a kidney. I have read on here that the dba t3 4000 club spec seem to be an ok option for rotors, what would be the best caliper to go with it? if any.

My current rims are 20"

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
if you can find them cheap enough, redline brembo's, though it would also require clearance, depending on the type of 20" you have.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The Redline brakes with the OE rotors are the best.

sidespyder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Just about to do this booked in 2 weeks.

Went with the dba 4000 rotors front + rear the the CTS-V calipers (6pot front) + dba extreme pads and SS lines.

Think it was about 3K, hopefully install wont be too much

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just about to do this booked in 2 weeks.

Went with the dba 4000 rotors front + rear the the CTS-V calipers (6pot front) + dba extreme pads and SS lines.

Think it was about 3K, hopefully install wont be too much
What Rims are you using?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
On modern cars, any brake upgrades (different calipers, larger rotors) need engineering certification unless it was optional for your specific model variant.

If you like to read about Ron’s saga, look at this thread, then this thread but if you just want a summary, read this post.

There is no way around this requirement as what’s an option for your model variant is listed on the Road Vehicle Descriptor (RVD) which is on a database accessible by anyone who cares to look (police included).

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
On modern cars, any brake upgrades (different calipers, larger rotors) need engineering certification unless it was optional for your specific model variant.

If you like to read about Ron’s saga, look at this thread, then this thread but if you just want a summary, read this post.

There is no way around this requirement as what’s an option for your model variant is listed on the Road Vehicle Descriptor (RVD) which is on a database accessible by anyone who cares to look (police included).
I already was planning to get it engineered as my local shop said I had to

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just wanted to put it out there as enginnering wasn't mentioned and needed to be ;)

If you read Ron's thread, you see his engineer wouldn't accept eBay purchased brembos (counterfit?) but would accept purchase from a wecker if poof of purchase included VIN of doner vehicle, photos of brakes on vehicle (i think) , etc. Each engineer has their rules and what they are ok to sign off on, so if your not clear what he'll accept, you need to ask before spending $$.

Last edited:

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just wanted to put it out there as enginnering wasn't mentioned and needed to be ;)

If you read Ron's thread, you see his engineer wouldn't accept eBay purchased brembos (counterfit?) but would accept purchase from a wecker if poof of purchase included VIN of doner vehicle, photos of brakes on vehicle (i think) , etc. Each engineer has their rules and what they are ok to sighn off on so if yours isn't celar, you need to ask before spending $$.
I am sourcing mine off amazon, so I think I am good (they are the CTS V 4 pot front brakes)