Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgraded cams for 175 alloytec

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
the funny thing is that they have the same size fuel tank dont they? i think they are both 68L, which does mean... we v6s pay the same price at the pump anyway... ive also known a few 'thirsty' V8s that get more km then my v6 per tank. probably cuz they dont need to driev as hard to get as fast..

I think the word you're looking for is torque :).

red_rocket05

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS COMMODORE UTE
Email from performance manifolds. Four new billets Retail at $2550 parts only plus $1500 labour to fit PLUS a RETUNE. The camshafts will only work to full potential with the CPR6 inlet fitted for $1615. (Or so they reckon)

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
If you wanna go playing around with cams you can do it via VCM Suite....... I mean honestly it'd virtually workout the same as getting some made. Cams are controlled via the ECU these days....... this is why they dont make them. You can just change the setup via tuning software.

eg. I'm running a heavily modified VE SV6 tune on my 175kw auto vz exec.

The only really mods you can do with the 175 motor is to buy the CPR6 manifold.... it's the only thing that would actually help add power.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
If you wanna go playing around with cams you can do it via VCM Suite....... I mean honestly it'd virtually workout the same as getting some made. Cams are controlled via the ECU these days....... this is why they dont make them. You can just change the setup via tuning software.

The only really mods you can do with the 175 motor is to buy the CPR6 manifold.... it's the only thing that would actually help add power.

So what Qaulifications and real time experience do you actually have in tuning? You seem to talk it up all the time, yet.. you prove nothing and you always tell a different story to the last one, tell me.. does your engine covers still increase torque?

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
The way the ECU adjusts the cam timing is very simple, its doesn't adjust the profile or lift of the cam, which makes the most difference in cam upgrades. Bigdaddy, have you ever sat in a car with hardcore cams? The car barely idles, its rough as, but when you get her going, the power keeps climbing untill the airflow is restricted by the timing and lift profile of the cam.
That's a good reason that more rpm doesn't necessarily mean more power.

And why bother with the CPR6? Get it if you are going to sit at redline for the cars life, but that's all its good for.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Doing cams in a DOHC engine is a waste of cash, 4 cams to pay for. Honestly, just intake and exhaust upgrades with a maffless tune will set the 175 up quite nicely.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6

firstly, mucking around with vcm suite is not going to change the timing of the cams, because theyre done with timing chains..... and it's not going to change the profile of the cam lobes either... so that's rubbish...

And secondly, you can't run a "heavily modified VE SV6 tune on your 175kw auto vz exec"... so whoever told you that just ripped you off... There are different components on an SV6 in the inlet manifold, and i beleive there are subtle cam and throttle control differences in the PCM that can't just be "transferred over". They also have a different gearbox to yours.

Nothing personal, i'm not nitpicking, just that the alloytecs are complex and easy to get confused over. I've done enough (probably too much) work to mine to discover that they're very difficult to get anything out of.

If the OP wants to try cams out, by all means go for it. :) it would be great for the community to get some feedback on what could very well be the most effective means of powering up an alloytec :)