Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Upgrades for burnout cars

RaptorSC.vy.v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 raptor supercharged VY V6 burnout car
I have a raptor supercharged vy v6 and having a few problems with the setup lately so just looking for anyone to give me a little insight on a few things. This is for burnout use only
Running e85
Getting better throttle response
Building a tougher 4l60e

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Locked diff, shorter ratio crown wheel n pinion, I would assume being charged an intercooler and manifold insulator would work well, cam obviously would be ideal, rockers if not, a mail order tune and a good service I think will go along way! Maybe you need to look into some bigger injectors also to keep up with the boost don't know how much your running but yeah your tuner of choice would know!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Heat management is your primary concern.

What problems are you having, if we know what's going wrong people will be able to suggest ways to remedy :)

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Hook up a switch to the fans to run max when on the pan, bigger radiator.
Throw out the 4l60e and put a manual in.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The 4L makes a decent burnout box, people just tend to use the wrong gears and kill them, 3rd is the one you want and a stacked plate cooler with fan. Personally I'd throw a manualised valve body on a burnout pig and a billet 1-2 servo to snap it quick. It's not worth spending much on a box internals because they will die, no question, manual or auto. Cheaper to have a wreckers jobbie on standby, swap the valve body and servo and go again.

E85 is a good choice cause it runs cooler and you can get a bit more HP/nm out of it than 98. There's a bit to do though if you didn't have it in mind when you installed the boost. I've set mine up for E85 but given there's no more than 2 bowsers in Canberra at any given time, it just won't work for a daily. You intercooled? Pounds?

Just noticed you're in Townsville, Tim's only 4 hours up the road ;)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 1 Tonner S V6 Raptor Charged!
Water/meth or just meth injection might work well also, being that you'll be at high revs most of the time.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
With E85 fuel conversion, heat management is less of an issue. E85 sucks a heap of heat out as it evaporates.

What I Would do for a burnout car is buy a water meth injection kit, and fill it with E85. Mount the injector in the raptor outlet pipe, use the 0.63 mm Injector, set it to be at full injection rate at 9psi. Kudos to Decicrate for that idea.

The 4L60E is a tough enough box - good for 450rwhp. Get a beast Torque convertor, carbon fibre bands, corvette servo, and run 10% higher line pressures for faster changes.
Engine mounts will be important - get unbreakables and use BOTH.
DIff - LSD 3.7 gears I suggest, with HSV half shafts.
Get a Mace thermal seperator for the inlet plenum, get some sort of cold air intake that draws from outside, rather than a pod.
A water cooled version of the raptor would be a good idea.

Get. A. Tailshaft. Loop. Ever seen a Kingswood do a Handstand ?

O. Better throttle response ? Get a bored out 69mm Throttlebody and convert to to MAP instead of MAF.:idea3: