Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading a VS 3.8 to VS 5.L

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I have just about got all my bits together and am neary ready. I purchased a Crow Cam Stage 2 kit and it came with a Chip, I had already purchased a 185 KW HSV chip and I wonder if it is worth getting the HSV chip programmed with the Cam details or just use the chip that came with the cam kit. Also does anyone know of a good dyno tuner in the Newcastle area as I'll get it dynoed.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Neil use the chip that came with the cam, I'm not sure if it's a for real performance chip or if it's just got more spark advance at idle so they idle is smooth but yeah, well hey why not try both and see which is best :). Most of the the HSV chips have a pretty good amount of spark advance at idle anyway

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Thanks Guy's. Yeah I will probably try both chips.
Problem, Got a set of AU's off Branko for my Radiator and looks like I can wire then up to the current Thurmo, but to switch em on I need Crow to alter the chip settings to turn em on. Crow have told me the chips are locked and they were going to check on their techi but havn't heard back from them.

Bakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII Ute
Im not too sure you can swap the series 3 v8 into a vs commodore. Since they are the same 5 litre that was in the VT, and you must go to fair troubles to get the VT 5 litre to work in a pre Vt commy. I think the troubles are that to use the current harnesses in your car, you need a pre-VT dizzy, and in doing so you will forfeit sequential injection. To keep the sequential injection I think you pretty much have to rewire the entire car to suit the comp. I would highly recommend finding someone who has done this converion, I think you also have to slice open one of the looms, since they will know what is required. Ill try to find out more about this, I wouldnt mind knowing how to go about it myself.