Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading brakes from VP to VT twin pot. score for $200

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
Ok
Ive ordered my VT to VP hubs, VT drilled & slotted 296mm rotors, new VT pads, VT twin piston caliper seal kits & just need new VT/VP lines & a bracket from a helpful lad on here.
For now Ive installed a 1" master cyl & the pedal feel is topshelf & the standard brakes seem to work quite well compaired to having a 15/16 master cyl.
That being said Im still going to do a full vt upgrade & will write a full how to on it to help other people work out if its all posible for them to do as this is a much asked about upgrade, including the mods to the booster & the bracket install.
So

codwalop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT/APV, VP V6 Turbo
this has all been documented and covered some many times.. but it won't hurt to document it once more.

if the vt the calipers are from had abs, it'll be fine, otherwise you'll need to find some abs calipers.

rather than redrill the new hole in the booster, race brakes sydney and a few other places sell a machined spacer to just move the master slightly forward. it's only about $30, you might find this a better option. depending on the bracket you've made or acquired to adapt the vt booster, the master spacer might make the bracket to mount the master to the strut tower useless, or require modification.

i'm not quite clear on what you have done so far, if you have only installed the 1" master onto your vp booster, this will work ok with the vt calipers. but alternatively you can source a vs plastic booster and use this instead of the vt item. it will bolt straight in, and then you can run a vs or vt master. the vs plastic booster is an upgrade in itself, but only vs onwards master cylinders will bolt upto it. the vt booster/master combo is better but only marginally - and some people find the pedal too sensitive. i've used all of these combinations and i've found the happy medium of ease and performance to be:

- vs plastic booster with vs or vt master (brakeline adaptors required for vp series 1 and older - vp series 2 onwards require no adaptors)
- vt calipers with adaptor hubs & dba slotted/drilled rotors
- braided adaptor hoses (available from holmart) - the original hoses when installed on vt calipers will foul on the caliper itself, but they can be modified/bent if need be.

the vs master is fine for the vt calipers, the vt item is more powerful though. if you've already adapted and installed a vt booster, then disregard and stick with what you've already done.

don't get the ve kit, it performs well, but there are some technical issues depending on where you get the kit from, and the replacement rotors aren't an off the shelf item (ve rotors run a different stud size to vn-vz)

the hardest part of this whole conversion is the vt booster. the custom bracket and the modification for the pedal height (or spacer option) are all time consuming, that is why it is common to just use a vs plastic booster, then use the vs or vt master.

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok
Ive ordered my VT to VP hubs, VT drilled & slotted 296mm rotors, new VT pads, VT twin piston caliper seal kits & just need new VT/VP lines & a bracket from a helpful lad on here.
For now Ive installed a 1" master cyl & the pedal feel is topshelf & the standard brakes seem to work quite well compaired to having a 15/16 master cyl.
That being said Im still going to do a full vt upgrade & will write a full how to on it to help other people work out if its all posible for them to do as this is a much asked about upgrade, including the mods to the booster & the bracket install.
So

AS said above Ive got all the VT bits apart from brake lines & have installed a 1" VP master cyl to get some brakes for now
I think thats all clear as day
As for documented many times ???? I read for days on here & other forums & havent found a full "how to" from wheels off to wheels on doing this upgrade, But if you can find one please feel free to point it out

codwalop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT/APV, VP V6 Turbo
wasn't trying to be rude, i just meant that there is plenty of info around already regarding this conversion, but i was serious when i said it can't hurt to do it again. if you can help to remove the confusion and conflicting information/opinions, it'll be worth your time.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-vt-brake-upgrade.75831
How to adapt the VT Master Cylinder to early model Commodores - calaisturbo.com.au
VT brake upgrades - The Commodore Club of Tasmania Forums
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...se-vt-brake-conversion-issues.html#post312767

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey codwalop
cheers for the links

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
I got a kit for my old VR off ebay for $350 which included everything and been trying to get the same thing for my VH but settled on VS brakes, I can get all the VT stuff cheap too but factor in new hubs ($150) new brake lines if i can find them ($150) plus buying the gear in the first place i though i will just settle for VS brakes
sometime if you wait long enough you can get a kit from ebay for under $500 which includes everything needed