Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading brakes from VP to VT twin pot. score for $200

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6 Berlina & 5LT VP International
Im upgrading my VP International brakes & have been lucky to score a full set of front VT brakes Including the booster & master cyl for $200. :rofl2: {it helps to have a mate whom constantly wrecks commodores}
I know im going to need the shims to centre the discs, new brake lines & new pads, but do I need anything else ??
Ive searched & read my eye balls out for days & there is a lot of different info regarding this upgrade.
I just want to know what I need so I dont disable my pride & joy for the sake of 1 or 2 bits.
Thanks in advance tittie

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I'm no expert. I've just done a lot of reading too. Have you got an upgrade kit off a VP or just the gear straight off a VT? If you have the latter then you need change-over hubs because the original hubs and discs are combined on the VP and separate (floating discs) on the VT. If you have the correct change-over hubs then you probably don't need the spacers. They are needed on a VR VS cos they already have floating discs so you don't need new hubs with them.
I could go on but I will wait till you post more info. Good luck with the project

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi VPRob
what I have is the discs, calipers, master & booster all off a VT & can get the hubs if I need them
This is all to go on the VP
Thanks for your help & any info is greatly appreciated

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I don't think the hubs will fit onto a VP stub axle so they won't be much use to you. If you cut n paste this into your search engine it will take you to someone selling the right hubs on ebay. I did see a link somewhere to someone selling the same thing a bit cheaper but I don't have it handy.
Holden VT Brake Adaptor Hubs TO FIT VB VC VH VK VL VN VP VQ Commodore HSV | eBay

I know you need longer hoses as well but I don't think you can just use the VT hoses. Not sure about this tho so you'll need to check it out.
Markovr, who contributes a lot to this site might be able to help you out with fitting the VT master and booster to your car. I've read that you can get by with fitting the VP heavy duty MC (1" bore, standard is 15/16ths") with the VT brakes but as you already have the VT MC n booster you might as well use it as it will give better results anyway. I know it needs a little modification though.
What size discs came off the VT? What size rims are you running on the VP?

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Rob
The discs only 295mm as for the hubs I can get VT stubs, hubs & struts for next to nothing as Im owed a few favours, thats if thats going to make the conversion easier
Ill be running 18 inch rims so clearance wont be a problem { I had them on my old calais before it got vandilsed by little so & sos}
The VP currently has a 1" booster & can get a 1" master but I would like to try & keep as much VT stuff as possible for ease
Thanks again for your help
Anyone else got any tips ??? Please

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
I've been told to use IBS ( independent braking solutions) as they are a company that sells engineered or whatever kits for insurance purposes etc by my mechanic. Problem is they don't deal with public... But they make a kit for you to suit vehicle so bracket for change of booster mc and brake line nipple adaptors.

tittezzzvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK guys your going off track a bit there,, Im not paying over the top prices when I can get most parts cheap as chips
ALL I want to know is what I need to make this conversion happen in 1 go
so do i need to get stubs & hubs & struts off one of the 4 VT's currently being wrecked or what???

nqrith

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
the kit is what you need to make it work. vt struts wont fit into a vn,vp as they are different. there isn't much that will just bolt in between them. the vp has a disc and hub as one peace that goes on to a stub with bearings the vt has a removable hub carrier that bolts on to the strut with a separate disc that slides over.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
the kit is what you need to make it work. vt struts wont fit into a vn,vp as they are different. there isn't much that will just bolt in between them. the vp has a disc and hub as one peace that goes on to a stub with bearings the vt has a removable hub carrier that bolts on to the strut with a separate disc that slides over.
As above. Unfortunately you can't just swap bits over because they are not interchangeable. I pointed out the combined hub/disc on the VP in an earlier reply hence the need for the changeover hubs.
You may be able to save a bit if someone will break up a kit cos you've already got some parts. Someone was offering a VT conversion kit cheap on this site recently too. Because you already have the 1" MC you can stick with that and save the stuffing around and/or cost of changing to the VT MC/booster at least in the short term.
Sorry we can't supply the easy answers you want but if the parts won't fit then they won't fit. Heaps more info scattered around in posts on this site so keep searching