Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading Headunit

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
Hey ppl how r we all? :D quick question. i have put a new sony 4x52w cd player headunit in my car. But ive still got the stock speakers and wiring set-up. gonna drive round like for awhile till can afford sum sony x-plod fronts and rear speakers.

1) Question is, will this b ok for the headunit? i know i cant turn her up full coz the speakers will blow but would it be ok with the volume down for a month or so?

2) when i upgrade the speakers will the stock wiring be ok? or do i have to upgrade the wiring as well???

thanks ppl

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
It'll be fine for the head unit, but like you said, don't turn it up too high or you'll blow the stock speakers.

To get the most out of your new head unit and speakers, I'd be changing the speaker wires too.

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
ok, also is it ok to run both front and rear of the just the head? or do 6x9's really need an amp? and if i do put in an amp for the rears will the headunit divert the unsed power from the rears and increase the fronts? or is the power limited per channel?

cheers...:thumbsup:

jds303

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VS EXEC S2
for a set up like that, you will not need an amp to run 6x9's. you also will not need to upgrade yor wiring. if you do use an amp for your rears, no power will be 'diverted' to any other speaker channels. having no rears powered from the headunit will not provide any more power to the fronts.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
you WILL NOT blow the stock speakers with an aftermarket h/u as you mentioned unless you force it to clip using the EQ.
aftermarket h/u's are almost exactly suited to the stock speakers.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
exactly. your new 52W HU will only be, in reality, about 17W RMS, and thats pretty much the exact rating of the stock speakers

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
unreal, now i dont have to re-wire the whole thing. Thanks everyone for your help. much aprchiated.