Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

UPGRADING TO VF HSV 4 SPOT BRAKES

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
to answer the OP, the 4 pots on my Redline certainly stop me nicely especially when i really mash them and were a big step up from my older VX which had the SS brakes of the day.

Pedal feel, just everything is improved. However day to day they are complete overkill, but i like them anyway. I jump between my VF and my old Monaro and after a bit I'm all adjusted back to all that steering play and the longer pedal in no time. Your skill as a driver, plus some decent tyres is probably going to make a bigger difference imo.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not sure about rims but changing brakes will require engineering approval if the brakes were not an option on your model variant (the variants being evoke, ss, redline, etc). Using Brembos on a VF could/may be easier just cause it’s used in other model variants from that year. But whatever the case, best talk to a certifying engineer before you start to spend dollars…
Definitely check with an engineer, as these rules differ between states.
For example bolting HSV stuff onto your Holden was fine without engineering in NSW many moons ago, but that was early noughties, and even a change in the way HSV register their cars for ADR compliance could have changed that fact despite there being no physical difference.

I jump between my VF and my old Monaro and after a bit I'm all adjusted back to all that steering play and the longer pedal in no time.
I have a 1980-spec project/fun car, and then my wife has our "real car".
When the "real car" was a stock 20yo 3.8L VS Berlina, the project/fun car felt like it had really solid brakes & great steering & great suspension.
Now the "real car" is an SSVR, the project/fun car feels like the steering's barely connected to the road, with brakes you have to baby at times & suspension that allows way too many clunks into the car without necessarily holding the tyres where they should be! :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It’s just not as cool or as visible as 6 pot callipers and big dark carbon ceramic disks and pads :cool:
Years ago I sold a bloke a Harrop brake kit for a VS SS at the time was 11k, they weren't cheap. When collecting his car after fitment he said, These brakes will look mint when I pull up at the traffic lights". He bought a set of Harrop's because they look good primarily!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
to answer the OP, the 4 pots on my Redline certainly stop me nicely especially when i really mash them and were a big step up from my older VX which had the SS brakes of the day. Pedal feel, just everything is improved

My daily driver is a VF2 SV6 ute with SS brakes I fitted we had laying around. I try not to brake too hard driving the Redline ute to limit brake dust but the only difference felt with the Brembo's in normal street driving is slightly less pedal pressure required to stop the car. SS brakes feel pretty good and much nicer than our old FG Falcon we use as a shopping trolley. I've only smashed the brake pedal to the floor once with the Brembo's from about 90kmph when a Kangaroo jumped out in front of me on a back road near our place and the car braked well and felt nice in a hard stop.

Frosty005

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss v
Please beware when posting new threads that they are in the correct section, technical threads don't belong in the Showcase area.
Thanks ….ive never really got how to post in which section in hear as I thought it was just commodore forum about anything to to with commodores not sure which subsection to be found for my various questions ….if you could show me which section I should be asking in thanks

Frosty005

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss v
If it’s the shortest one-off stopping distance that floats your boat, something which keeps your family safe of the roads, the best bang for buck is to spend your money on real good tyres. That’s because no matter how great the brakes are at stopping the car, the limiting factor will always be the rubber contact patches on the road (which is where getting yje best tyres comes into its own).

If it’s multiple repeated stops on a race track that floats your boat, then big thick vented rotors and multi-piston callipers would provide a benefit due to the heat rejection capabilities of those big rotors.

If it’s aesthetics, and money isn’t an issue, go for both :p

PS: not all brake pads are the same so getting quality high friction coefficient pads for your standard brakes would complement the new sticky tyres. Such new pads and tyres may be more than enough to get the road behaviour you may be looking for.
Thanks for the input and definitely a something to really consider ….sticky tyres would also be great for my traction problems

Frosty005

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss v
Yeah, racing is interesting cause most classes have rather capable brakes that don’t fade and the limit becomes driver skill and tyre adhesion which is how it should be… makes for better viewing…

On public roads, in another context, the limiting factor is actually the driver. Many tests have shown that drivers simply don’t press hard enough on the brakes to achieve the shortest stopping distance in an emergency. Heck some panic and don't even brake or steer away from danger. You really need to have your wit’s about you especially in the morning rush as it’s the road equivalent of the zombi apocalypse (slow moving, half dead and wanting to kill you)…

So maybe another performance enhancing spend is a good strong coffee before the drive to work :p It’s just not as cool or as visible as 6 pot callipers and big dark carbon ceramic disks and pads :cool:
Interesting reply haha

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Thanks ….ive never really got how to post in which section in hear as I thought it was just commodore forum about anything to to with commodores not sure which subsection to be found for my various questions ….if you could show me which section I should be asking in thanks
easy mate just hit the home button on top and scroll down to the vf section which this thread is in