Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

gomax

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
Just added a Kicker bass amp/speaker under passenger seat of the S2 SV6 Sportwagon.

"JB, you've done it again!"

Disconnected centre speaker as well.

Good enough sound for these tired ole ears. ;-0>

rossvickicampbell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Ute
Ladies and Gents - must admit I have not read through the whole 12 pages of this thread so if my question has been already answered I apologise - just point me in the right direction :).
I have a 2012 VE SS Thunder ute - and want to upgrade the pathetic stock system. Like mentioned at the start here just a basic upgrade to better the music I have. I already have a small 4 x 50W Alpine amp to install and plan to go the door and tweeter speak changeout - and have been recommended to disconnect the dash front speaker. Question I have has anybody installed (if there is room etc etc etc) a small sub in place of the centre dash speaker? I can fit a 10" below the seat but would rather not when/if I decide to put sub in.
Thoughts, ideas, help, abuse :)?????
thanks muchly
Rossco

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Ladies and Gents - must admit I have not read through the whole 12 pages of this thread so if my question has been already answered I apologise - just point me in the right direction :).
I have a 2012 VE SS Thunder ute - and want to upgrade the pathetic stock system. Like mentioned at the start here just a basic upgrade to better the music I have. I already have a small 4 x 50W Alpine amp to install and plan to go the door and tweeter speak changeout - and have been recommended to disconnect the dash front speaker. Question I have has anybody installed (if there is room etc etc etc) a small sub in place of the centre dash speaker? I can fit a 10" below the seat but would rather not when/if I decide to put sub in.
Thoughts, ideas, help, abuse :)?????
thanks muchly
Rossco

I wouldn't think a Sub would sound as satisfying in the centre dash compaired to under the seat tbh.

Dragulia

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM statesman
I love this post. I changed the 4 door speakers for Kickers from JB HiFi, about $320 total. Splits in the front and duals in the back, and I took the centre speaker out and the sound was a lot less muddy after the upgrade.
To anyone who has done the speakers and not the rear parcel shelf, WOW what a difference!! It is worth the 2-3 hours it will take. (mostly to remove the seats and shelf then re-install - dynamatting took 1/2 hour)
I left the original subs, but like most people found, I swapped the speaker wires on both. Then I got some dynamat from Jaycar, and covered the rear shelf as much as I could (press it down hard!) - there are locating holes, screws and wires to go around, but holy crap the bass difference is amazing! Dont bother changing the rear subs unless you are going to rip them out and put a box and amp in the boot. But, I had a box with dual 12" carbon fibres for years in my last car, sounded frighteningly loud but now I prefer the extra space i have instead, especially after this mod!!
Now i'm not so fussed I only have the stock system.

rick_james

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Can u get speakers mounts for the doors of a ve to fit 6 3/4 speakers

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Will 6.5" speakers fit in the rear doors? I've a 2012 VE Wagon. I know for the front I have to drill new holes to make them fit, but sony don't do 6" speakers soo yeah...

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Yep i got 6.5 kickers in the rear doors . They fit without any modification .

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Apologies if this has already been discussed. I have bought some Alpine splits to replace my front speakers. Rather than running the wire from the door speakers back to the tweeters, can I run it from the feed from the left and right from the centre speaker? (And add the crossover). It’s an SV6. I’ve disconnected the centre and can see the wires going to it are the same colour as each door speaker.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
One of my rear door speakers stopped working, the terminals rusted out so I decided to replace the rear speakers.

I just picked up a cheap set of Clarion SE1624E 300W 35Wrms speakers, they are 4 ohm, just like the speakers I removed.

I thought anything will be better than the stock 20Wrms "KOC" speakers. Well... I'm a little disappointed. The Clarion speakers don't have as much bass as the stock units, although sound much better when louder, crisper sound.

What is a good bassy speaker that the stock headunit will work with? Some of the bassier speakers seem like they'd need an amp to power them. What works well with the stock non premium system? I'm considering the HERTZ DCX165, but worried they'd need an amp.

Thanks