Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
One of my rear door speakers stopped working, the terminals rusted out so I decided to replace the rear speakers.

I just picked up a cheap set of Clarion SE1624E 300W 35Wrms speakers, they are 4 ohm, just like the speakers I removed.

I thought anything will be better than the stock 20Wrms "KOC" speakers. Well... I'm a little disappointed. The Clarion speakers don't have as much bass as the stock units, although sound much better when louder, crisper sound.

What is a good bassy speaker that the stock headunit will work with? Some of the bassier speakers seem like they'd need an amp to power them. What works well with the stock non premium system? I'm considering the HERTZ DCX165, but worried they'd need an amp.

Thanks

I usually find putting better front speakers give better bass.
Im a fan of Alpine speakers.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
I usually find putting better front speakers give better bass.
Im a fan of Alpine speakers.

Ended up swapping the **** clarions out for some Kicker 6.5” and they are MUCH better.

Sansius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY12 SSV
I've done the reverse polarity hack on the rear parcel subwoofers. Common mod with the yanks. Can confirm it eliminates a lot of the booming and rattles and makes the bass kicks more noticeable. Its not 'night and day' as some claim but I do think its worth doing.

Al_in_Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6 Commodore
I would like to add my thanks to @boneart for the superb writeup and it has been enhanced by everyone else sharing - yes, I read through all 12 pages.
Anyway, just lost sound from my left rear and after pulling the door panel off, discovered the connections all rusted out. I found my speakers (S2 SV6 sedan) are 2 ohm, so have ordered Infinity Kappa front splits and rear 2-ways.
My question around amping is... has anyone successfully used the wiring from the likes of Aerpro which would enable utilising a high level input amp and to be able to feed back into the speaker feed all in 1 easy step. You could easily run a small alpine or clarion under the dash.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Al

Attachments

• 9967B1E5-41B6-4FB2-8FFF-2E1BDF2C068A.png
    9967B1E5-41B6-4FB2-8FFF-2E1BDF2C068A.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 414

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Question about Front door components only
Instead of wiring the tweeter to to the cross over with the woofer, which means you have to get the wire from inside the car to the door.

What would be wrong wiring the tweeter to the cross over ONLY and putting the cross over inside the car. And then plugging the component to the main door wiring without a cross over?

Anything wrong by doing this?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I removed the centre speaker from my VE2 today. Has improved the sound quality by heaps and now I can fade to the rear speakers without the centre speaker staying at full noise and sounding like crap.
Getting at the speaker wasn't much of a hassle but removing the actual speaker proved to be unbelievably difficult. The 2 small screws holding it in were tighter than hell and due to the awkward location I just couldn't get enough weight on them to get them out. I ended up tearing the speaker up and cutting the metal with snips to get at the magnet and plug. Rough as guts for sure but once I was there I wasn't putting it back together with that speaker still in place.

Lol i did the same in my e2. 3 screw drivers and I just couldnt get those 2 screws out @!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Also has anyone connected the stock subwoofers to an aftermarket amplifier? Any good?

Im thinking of a 4 channel amp, 2 channels to the fronts, and 2 channels to the stock subs? Im trying to keep my boot size so really dont want a sub box :) If i get fancy i might try see if I can get someone to make me a sub box like the walkinshaw one. But thats another topic.

George mason

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve omega
Hey guys I’ve recently just purchased a 2013 omega ex cop car in nz. Just wondering if anyone knows where they cut the front speakers off I’m wanting to change them out but don’t want to rewire new cables to the head unit but if I have to then I will cheers.

Couttadegreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 senator
Anyone know if you can swap the poxy 40w amp with the bose 200w amp? Like it's it a straight unplug one, plug in the other?