Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
boneart,
you have inspred me to research speakers and also replacement subs.

For interest most replacement 8" subs on the market appear like they require a larger hole below the sub. ie the new subs have a bigger "skirt" area below them. They are fatter below the surface speaker section.

Also the standard amp is made by Bosch in Malaysia according to the label. It is 2 x40w RMS.

Do you know if the standard subs (each is 2 Ohm, 50W) are wired in parallel or series?

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Subs

boneart,
you have inspred me to research speakers and also replacement subs.

For interest most replacement 8" subs on the market appear like they require a larger hole below the sub. ie the new subs have a bigger "skirt" area below them. They are fatter below the surface speaker section.

Also the standard amp is made by Bosch in Malaysia according to the label. It is 2 x40w RMS.

Do you know if the standard subs (each is 2 Ohm, 50W) are wired in parallel or series?

I need to do a bit more research on the subs yet but I have heard that most free air compatible subs have a wider basket than the stocks which means bending a little of the metal around the base of the hole back a bit to get a fit.

As for the stock sub wiring, I believe each sub is on its own channel so they not wired in parallel or series to change the impedance load on the amp as you would with two speakers off one channel.
Not an expert on that and as I say more research needed.

This is the only wiring diagram I have found for the stock amp/subs so far so perhaps this will help
AmpWiring.jpg

Last edited:

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Boneart thanks for the diagram. I am sure it must give some good info. - quite seriously! Any techie type peope here that can interpret what it means for me? Sorry, I am a total novice at electronics.

catbert6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Calais Sportwagon V8 Redline
Any chance that someone has a wiring diagram (or good description) for a Calais Sportwagon (VE Series 2)? HOw would it differ from the sedan?

(edit: having now actually had a look in the back of my car (embarrassed look) I can see there are clearly no subs and therefore (if the amp is only there to drive the subs) no amp. Otherwise, I appears to pretty much as per the top post).

Last edited:

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Anybody have any suggestions for the beat places to go to buy dynamate? I want to dynamat the doors when I do the speakers, though know it's expansive! Any stores recommended (Victoria) or just the Internet..?

Also the main pack is for 34 square ft I think it was, ppl know if that's enough to do all four doors?

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
top post, great information

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
Interesting diagram of the amp Boneart - seems they just use the front door speakers (left and right) as the input - pins 1&6 and 2&7. Very basic amp by the looks of it, all preset with no adjustments - obviously built to a price point!

Computers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
How do you get the center speaker cover off? I don't wanna break anything and the instructions seem a little vague to me?