Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Hey, thanks for the guide.
I have one question that I hope hasn't already been answered, but I didn't want to shuffle through 3 pages of posts for it.
With getting at the centre speaker, you mention that you just pull at the top of the speaker cover. I can't seem to get at mine without first getting the very front piece of plastic (has the sun/night sensor on it) away from the cover. But I feel like I'm going to break it. Does this need to come off for me to get to the centre speaker or am I doing something wrong?

Hey mate, no you don't need to remove the panel with the sensor on it. Just the metal grill comes out. You have to lift it from the windscreen side. Try from one corner instead of the middle so you're working on one clip perhaps. Every piece of trim is a bit of a prick to remove the first time. I think I'm up to about 45-50 pieces now. Only 3 broken clips, but geez my fingers are ripped up.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Okay cool thank you :) That answers my question. I wasn't too game to keep tugging at it after only having the car a few days lol.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Started on my rear doors today, massive thanks to those guys that helped me out with answers.

I ended up buying some of those 6.5 mdf rings from an auto shop, used those as a template and hacked away at them, now that I've got the template (hopefully it fits snug under the trim) I've drawn it up on the computer and I'm going to get it CNC routed to that template, get it looking as good as possible (I'm an anal prick with my car, even though you can't see it) reason I'm going to this extent is because of the massive size of the speakers I choose, but the audio blokes told me they've put them in ve's with the same method

So I'll will keep people posted and put up some pics once I get the mdf rings

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Sounds good Troyziee. Interested to see how they turn out. Know what you mean about being anal even the bits you can't see must look perfect. I got over that with age. Now if I can't see it, it just has to function properly.

Got everything in and working. Now to put it all back together (man that's a lot of trim pieces) and set up all the sound parameters. Love that I can do that now. Damn lot of wires, but they all seem to be hooked up right. Think I got the vehicle speed sensor right. The headunit is great, still works with the steering controls. The centre display is now reprogrammed to SS spec, so keep looking there to see the time but get batt/oil readings, have to get used to that. And the volume/source no longer appears on the dash screen. I'll get over that, just have to look at the h/u instead.
18092011142sm.jpg 18092011141sm.jpg

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
ok, Left rear door down, right rear to go!

what a pain in the ass these speakers are! they are just massive, everything on them is big! even the screws where too long, so i had to go buy shorter ones...
they better sound bloody good! lol

heres a couple of pics of the pods i had CNC routed at work. i ended up using HDPE (high density poly eruthane or some ****) pretty much a black plastic, means it looks alot more stock then MDF. I also bought a sheet of 6mm self-adhesive foam/rubber stuff from clarke rubber to stick on the rear of the pods.

b65866f5.jpg

2c8b5cb8.jpg

fdec9d5f.jpg

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Anyone know the name/number of those ghey little blue clips in the doors?

Managed to break two taking off the one trim :( so wana replace them!

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Hey hey,
Thanks for the awesome write up.
This may have just been my experience with it, but I found it impossible to pull the grill away from the windscreen side in my 2008 SV6.
For me, I used 2 Flat-Head screwdrivers (preferably long ones but not too big), and poked one at a time in on the side that is closest to yourself, lifting it up bits at a time.
While one screwdriver was in, I used the other one on the same side, but further along to shimmy it open, the clips came undone and managed to not scratch a thing :)
May not be the "normal" way of doing it, but it worked for me so I thought I should share..
And with this, I am also a new proud remover of the stupid crappy center speaker :)

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Word of advice for anyone taking off their door trims, DONT BREAK THOSE LITTLE BLUE/GREEN CLIPS!! :p

$6 a pop from holden parts.........

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Word of advice for anyone taking off their door trims, DONT BREAK THOSE LITTLE BLUE/GREEN CLIPS!! :p

$6 a pop from holden parts.........

Didn't think it would matter too much with the amount of screws in there anyway

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
ye but im a fussy prick :p

its abit dissapointing to see the amount of water inside the door, as ive got the rear trim off atm, and melbournes getting a down poor.
theres abit of water around the hole for the speaker, which means IF my speaker was in, that water would be straight onto my speaker.... which doesnt really thrill me at all....... and doesnt really impress me at all for a brand new car