Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Nice work on those custom pods. Looks a bit more professional than my jobs.

Interesting point you make about the water in your doors. Was it only the rear doors? I noticed that my rear speakers looked like the terminals had been wet at some stage, but wasn't sure if it was a problem with the doors or not. Obviously it is. Shows how pointless those splash guards are. I didn't worry too much as I just have cheaper Alpine's running off the head deck in the rear so I don't hear them until I listen too loud for too long and the amp overheats (so then it's only 30 sec until it kicks back in), but still it bugs me how to fix the problem. Latest thought is making an enclosed basket by using a short bit of PVC pipe with an end plate glued on. Don't know if it's even possible to get the right diameter pipe, and wondering if the enclosure would disrupt the speakers sound and even hold together with the pressure. Then there's the risk of vibration. But I'm thinking I should order bulk dynamat so maybe some of that in there too? What do people think? Any other ideas?

Must also agree that it's really poor form that water's getting in there. Worse since they mount the speakers exposed through the weather seal (that plastic sheet that now vibrates to some bass notes). Probably why one door lock plays up too, and can't wait for the window motor to give up from being wet (I assume)...

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
I've only do e the rear doors ATM, and when I did the first door it wasn't raining so I didn't notice water in there. Though like you said I did notice some water/rust on the speaker terminals, thought it was abut weird but didn't think much past that... Anyway, second door I had the trim off for about a week, and we copped a down poor, and Ye there was water sitting in the hole for the speaker, and down the bottom you could see all the water on the inside of the plastic sheet thing, which as mentioned would be dripping straight into the brains of the speaker coils.... If you look at the standard pods, they do have a small deflector at the top, and I thought about making a deflector out of PVC too, but the trims are back on now so can't be stiffed taking them off. But, mega-mega disappointing that waters in there full stop in a car that's only 10months old...

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
I fitted my speakers into the standard speaker pods to keep the water deflector. I figured that without the deflector is was likely water would come through into the car. The Polk DB651 speakers I used are marine rated, so not worried at all about them getting wet.

Genecidal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Ve SS V8
Did this a while ago - Tapped into Head speaker cables under the the D/side dash and ran some rca's to the boot. Also ran a switched power while i was at it from the lighter inside console. Ran power and earth from battery to a JL Audio G-Max 1200w amp plugged the RCA's into high level ins and threw in a 12" R-Type in a sealed box.........Then I had a thought why stop......so I piggy backed of the JL's passthrough wired up a Rockford Punch Amp and ran some spearker wires back down the sides to the front. This is where it got tricky. Decided to stick with Alpine (The best....opinion only) Opted for 61/2 Alpine R-Types for the fronts. Basic fitting as per original post very acurate by the way. DYNAMAT your doors people!!! Dont be stingy!! And slotted these babys in. The splits however were a pain in the arse but hrs later it was done. 1st sound test left me with an ear wide grin, awesome doesnt describe the difference. After add was more DYNAMAT for the boot lid/entire parcel shelf and wall/as much boot walls as i had left. Needs more! But over all Im happy. Its a work in progress I've made a custom fibre Twin ported IMG_0516.JPGIMG_0849.jpg sub enclosure with amp rack & Ipad display but ........ hasnt been finished yet (too much sanding!!)

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
I'm not sure I want to do an upgrade on my audio system myself as I don't trust it lol. How much do you think It would cost to get someone like Autobarn to do it for me?
Change Speakers, Add Sub and Amp.
Just a ballpark figure.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Hey Genecidal, looks good. Wish I could make something that nice. Just have an MDF box myself, but at least I know I made it to the right volume for my speaker and it looks good enough (as it works). Haven't done the dynamat yet, but you're right that it does need it. Running Alpine SPX-17REF's in the front, and at higher volume at certain frequencies the rattles start up. But have a 3d printer on the way, so I'm thinking I might be able to print custom pods with a better shield. Had to use the adaptor plates and wondering if they aren't that great (more things to vibrate).
Question though would be how much dynamat did you use? Thinking about Getting a bulk pack. Figure that should do the front doors properly (main concern). Then what else do you recommend? The sub box is screwed to the panel behind the seats, pointing the sub through the ski hole. So I'm guessing a layer on that & the parcel shelf, then maybe the boot lid. Finally the rear doors if there's any left over (head-unit powered speakers, so they do s.f.a). How much did you do on the doors? Just the inner skin (i.e- replacing the weather shield) or the outer skin too? Anything else to look out for? Like the trim or cables to the handle and lock? Kinda sick of pulling the car apart so only want to do it one more time.

Jbray - it isn't that hard to do yourself. Just follow this excellent guide. Fiddly, but that's about it. I don't trust places like Autobarn, so that's why I do it. Not saying they're bad, I'd say it depends on the people at a particular store, so I'd try to find out as much info first if you can. If you know someone that's done an upgrade, hassle them for who did it and how good it is. From what I've seen in the past and talking to installers, you will pay good money for a good job. Remember, anyone can call themselves an installer. One mate had a new headunit just screwed to the bottom of the dash in his ute, and a hole left where they removed the old one. That was one of those chain stores.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I'm not sure I want to do an upgrade on my audio system myself as I don't trust it lol. How much do you think It would cost to get someone like Autobarn to do it for me?
Change Speakers, Add Sub and Amp.
Just a ballpark figure.

Do it yourself mate. I have a Series II and did it all myself with no experience. Ripped off door trims and dash panels...no worries. Just take your time with it all.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
dont be afraid mate..... you'll get a lot of satisfaction doing it yourself, and you'll learn a lot. i've only ever done it once (on a previous car), and was pretty chuffed afterwards. just take your time, dont take shortcuts, and do it right. if you get stuck.... well then thats what the internet is for :).

Genecidal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Ve SS V8
Rome wasnt built in a day....... take your time and revel in the sounds of the system YOU BUILT. Ive never glassed up a box before, but it turned out pretty good ( not painting it anymore - sooooooo much sanding = leather quick/easy)
Point is to have fun and create ****. Too many guys just pass it on to someone else to do. Man up!!

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
I wanted to upgrade the speakers in my '07 Lumina, without adding an amp or sub.
I went to Autobarn to enquire about this, and was blatantly told, 'It won't make any difference unless you add an amp.'
What gives?