Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upper raidator hose squuezed?

CraigAB

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Series II Berlina
Hi,

I had the engine over heat alarm come up for a moment and then went back to normal. Then when I got home and popped the hood, I noticed the upper hose was squeezed (pressure?? Block somewhere?).
I turned off the engine, let it cool and opened the radiator cap. It looked like it needed coolant. But it was brown. So I am thinking that there is no coolant in there only water. So I started the engine added a bit of water and was full quickly (Maybe 200ML). The upper radiator hose was back to the normal shape.
So I am wondering if I should disconnect the lower hose and flush the radiator?
Also is there a bleeder valve for the radiator?

I am really only familiar with the older VB Commodore cooling system.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Craig

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Squeezed like collapsed? Usually happens when there is not enough coolant/water in the system or its not bled right.

The once hot air/steam in the cooling system cools down and makes a vacuum. Could also be wrong or broken radiator cap or blocked return line between the recovery bottle the radiator.

CraigAB

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Series II Berlina
yea, mate. I suppose collapsed.
I need to find out how to bleed this now.

Thanks for the responce.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
yea, mate. I suppose collapsed.
I need to find out how to bleed this now.

Thanks for the responce.

heater on full, fill system with engine running. take practice to know when its bled right, just watch a youtube vid.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi,

I had the engine over heat alarm come up for a moment and then went back to normal. Then when I got home and popped the hood, I noticed the upper hose was squeezed (pressure?? Block somewhere?).
I turned off the engine, let it cool and opened the radiator cap. It looked like it needed coolant. But it was brown. So I am thinking that there is no coolant in there only water. So I started the engine added a bit of water and was full quickly (Maybe 200ML). The upper radiator hose was back to the normal shape.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Craig

See if this helps you.....

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi,

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Craig

Definitely empty the system, give it a full flushing and replace with the correct spec coolant (not just any old coolant ).

There is a useful thread here which will help you. (At least it did help me when I had my VY).
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-flush-v6-cooling-system.28762

Not a difficult job - just messy. (Also if the car is elevated on a set car ramps it is easier to remove and replace the bottom radiator hose.) It is important to bleed the system properly. I allowed a lot of air to escape via the radiator fill opening before replacing the radiator cap and using the bleed screws to remove the rest, let it cool right down and topped it up again as necessary. Then started it all up again and bled it again via the bleed screws just to be sure I got all the air out. Then bled it again via the screws a week later after the car had done some running. Never ever had any cooling issues with the car.

Do not forget to ensure the overflow bottle has the correct fluid level in it.

While you are at it it is best to put new top and bottom radiator hoses on the car (unless you know they are fairly new), get a new genuine Holden radiator cap and check the vehicles' fluid levels weekly.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
The best way to bleed these commys is the way BrettJJ told me.

Take a 3 litre juice bottle, cut the ass off about a inch from the bottom. Find a large rubber hose that fits over the neck of the bottle and inside the neck of the radiator.

Put the bad boy in and start filling, when water stops going in open the bleed screw, close it when fluid comes out and start the engine.

Now leave the car running with the bottle still in place with coolant in it. Usually you know its bleed when the water level does a sudden drop ans its too hot to keep your finger in it.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
jonah says I say garbage so be careful when reading this..............

if brown then indicates rusty water to some degree.....so bleed screw may be corroded and thread-bound, White crystals will indicate this at bleed screw. If corroded, you may well be better off NOT trying to remove screw.

a car regularly driven that spikes temp and then pulls a cooling vacuum - and then only takes 200ml - that is a concern

thanks for reading - sorry for any garbage contained therein jonah

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
jonah says I say garbage so be careful when reading this..............

if brown then indicates rusty water to some degree.....so bleed screw may be corroded and thread-bound, White crystals will indicate this at bleed screw. If corroded, you may well be better off NOT trying to remove screw.

a car regularly driven that spikes temp and then pulls a cooling vacuum - and then only takes 200ml - that is a concern

thanks for reading - sorry for any garbage contained therein jonah

I approve this message as NOT being garbage.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
I approve this message as NOT being garbage.

sweet as bro

pretty soon we'll be holding hands.............................

may be able to squeeze you in for the Zoo trip............