Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Advice need on the L77

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Given the history with the job and the labor costs of changing these part, I would have thought that they would change the engine and the computer to ensure that they have eliminated the problem. It would also be much better from a customer service and PR point of view to make sure you praise their handling of the situation rather than rust the backlash of a genuinely unsatisfied customer.

See if you can insist in a complete, stock, untouched engine to be installed with whatever it takes to make it work and retain your warranty.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Well the final word is Holden wont install a new engine without swaping the camshaft that is in the L77 with an L98 cam. They agreed to supply a new camshaft and not remove the one from my faulty L98. So I guess we'll see how it goes.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Well Holden never ceases to amaze me.

Here is the lastest. The new L77 (bastardised 3/4) engine is in the process of being fitted to my car at the moment.

I get word today that they (the dealer) has changed the camshaft from the L77 with a new L98 camshaft.

Also as outlined in the Techline they have removed the L77 sump and will take the sump from my August 2009 built L98 (last of the L98's) and fit it to the what was new L77.

There are 2 proceedures on the techline one for a 2007, 2008, 2009 VE with the L98 and then there are the 2009, 2010 VEs with an L98. If the L98 was fitted back in 07, 08 and early 09 is says to use the sump, dipstick tube and dipstick etc etc. For the later model VE (so MY9.5 owards) you on need to replace the Valley cover and crankshaft. There is no mention of the need to change the sump.

I've told the dealer that yes my car is a 2007 VE but the engine is a L98 from the MY9.5 series which is why it only takes 7.6ltrs of oil. The earlier L98 had an 8.3ltr sump.

This is just complete bullsh!t that Holden will replace an engine with a new 3/4 motor but pull it apart to swap bits (like sump, etc) because? who f$!kn knows. From what I can gather seeing NO ONE will give me a technical reason why it is imperative to change theses parts (such as if they don't the ass end will fall out of it). It defeats the purpose of supplying a new motor which is covered under a 2 year 50,000klm Holden warranty.

I have reached the point with all this bullsh!t I have had to go through, that I will be publishing all my frustration on the various Motor magazine sites, Youtube and anywhere else it will get coverage. Basically warning people to be wary of the way Holden deals with Mechanical engineering faults. My recommendation would be not to buy a V8 holden ever. They have had so many years to get it right an still can't do it.

I am also in the process of obtaining professional advice in which to take the matter further.

NOTE: I should add though. Except for what appears to be a lack of care resulting in the sump being removed possibly unnecessarly, my local Holden dealer have been great to work with.

Also was told today that they no longer take the motor out through the top of the engine bay. They remove the engine out the bottom. Yep got to pull all the subframe crap, steering, etc etc out to change the engine. What use to be a 2 day job now becomes a week (maybe longer)......

Heres a pic of the so called NEW 3/4 engine minus the sump.

IMG_0260.jpg

Last edited:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I received advice today that they will be refitting the sump that came with the new motor as it shouldn't have been removed.

I'm glad the service manager is on the ball. +1 for him.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Golf clap.:clapping:

Thank god for that.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
holy crap dude. i've sat here reading all of your posts and i've just realised my mouth was wide open in disbelief the whole time.
i dont know what i'd do if my brand new car needed all this work done.... i feel for you mate, really.
keep us updated, this is a very interesting read!

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I received advice today that they will be refitting the sump that came with the new motor as it shouldn't have been removed.

I'm glad the service manager is on the ball. +1 for him.
Shame they had to break the virgin seal...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have been thinking of updating my VX SS to a VE SS, I can't believe after 12 years GM are still having issues with these LS motors, I went through all this back in 2001, after reading this thread and a few others I might go for an SV6 or Calais with the SIDI 6 cylinder, not overly confident on the 8's, seems a bit of a lucky dip.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Yeah i gotta admit reading this thread is really interesting. The one thing that gets me though is how the OP went through *three* motors in 2 years..that's nuts...
Wondering if there's something in it? (not blaming the op but that's gotta be some coincidence)

What happened with the other 2 motors? Same fault?