Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Advice need on the L77

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
What happened with the other 2 motors? Same fault?

The original engine developed the same problem at about 30,000klm. It took another 30,000klm before anyone would admit that there was a problem. At the time there were no L98 engine available so they had to go with Option 1 of the Techline which is to use a cylinder block and rebuild it using parts from the OEM engine. Within a few months the same noise came back. To rule out a build quality issue they were able to source a 3/4 crate motor. This was installed last November after a lengthly battle again for them to recognise it was the same issue and they wanted it to get much worse than it was before doing anything.

Around march or so the new engine had completed about 8,000klm and I was called in for an oil change. They used a 10w30 semi syn and with a few weeks I started noticing the noise in the mornings. Then the fight started all over again.

The car is not driven hard, modified in anyway. I cant speak for anyone who has driven it at the dealership when servicing. It is primarily a family car and I always have the kids in it. I guess I have been unlucky. My issue is not so much the product but how its handeled by Holden to get thing resloved, and I'm not talking about my dealer. They have been good. Its the people that represent Holden's view of these situations.

Anyway you can only take my word for it but those who have seen how I look after my cars no its not a driver related issue. If the info I put up helps others then I've achieved something.

Cheers

petergl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore super 6
Hexem
Interesting topic. Sorry for u just had bad luck. Reading this post I dot think I would buy a Ls still all the issues and Holden are just wasting everyones time

Advanced_Amatuer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2010
I can understand Hexems desire not to purchase another holden V8.

I previously had a turbocharged vehicle and after the turbo needing replacing (under warranty) at 30,000 km it put me off from buying a turbo vehicle again.
Hence my decision to go NA and not TC. I had ppl ask why i didnt consider an xr6 turbo and quickly explained why it wasnt an option (Not to mention Im not a fan of ford).

You see, it depends on your experiences. I read all of hexems posts and although it made me think twice about a v8, i certainly wasnt getting a turbo family car, no matter
how many assurances i got about how reliable they are. NO TURBO.

Just bad luck mate, but what can anyone say, trust holden, its a good car, etc etc.

I had a jeep patriot with the 2.0 turbo diesel, the Vw unit.
And the turbo **** itself. pffffffft. Got it replaced, and sold it (not to mention the same symptoms occured soon thereafter)

(and before anyone posts anything about turbos, how did you break it in, drive it etc etc trust me, it was a problem with the vw's)

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Hi all,

I thought I'd update everyone on the latest with my 'NEW' engine being fitted.

Just got off the phone with the Holden dealer. They said I won't be getting my car back today as there is a problem with the new motor. It is rattling its head off up the top end somewhere and they don't know why (like I said why change the camshaft?) anyway we'll let that one go. They told me that they will need to contact Holden TAC (yaaay!!!) for advice.

Here we go again. I'm placing bets that they want to pull the heads off etc etc etc..... F%$K when will it ever end!?

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
Oh Holden, can I please also have brand new replacement engine under warranty. But before you put it in can you pull apart a perfectly good engine to install a camshaft that was never designed for that motor (without changing pushrod lengths to accommodate the different cam specs)...and can you also pull the heads off and #### all the seals and lifters...pretty please!!!

Holden you should hang your head in shame. If I owned a performance shop and a Holden tech engineer wanted a job based on his qualifications I'd send him to the closest Centrelink!! Pathetic

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Well it just keeps getting better.

Phoned the service department today to see what's happening with my car. Was told that the service manager will ring be back (I think I should have stipulated a date and time) the afternoon goes by so I SMS the manager and they reply to my SMS instead of calling me. I suppose I should be lucky I got the SMS.

Anyway, the message tells me that they (the dealer) has stripped the motor (this is the Brand NEW L77) down (heads off, lifters out, etc etc.) to find the fault. Got the usual response of cause 'Nothing Found'. So they are putting it back together and will see how it sounds...

I must have crossed the path of a lot of black cats in my day to deserve this crap... I think it might be time to take this issue to the Department of Fair Trading or Consumer Affairs.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have been thinking of updating my VX SS to a VE SS, I can't believe after 12 years GM are still having issues with these LS motors, I went through all this back in 2001, after reading this thread and a few others I might go for an SV6 or Calais with the SIDI 6 cylinder, not overly confident on the 8's, seems a bit of a lucky dip.

I'm quite surprised all the dramas this guy has had. The 2 of these motors I had were fine from go to woah. Same goes with the E3 thus far. I must be lucky though - never had a problem with any of the GenIII motors I had either.

Reaper

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
that really suck with what youve had to go through, but actually dropping the engine out via the subframe is not bad form at all.

all you have to do is unbolt the steeringshaft to the rack, strut tops, unbolt the tail shaft, rear crossmember, disconnect fuel lines, a/c coolent wiring etc, unbolt the k-frame and lift the body away with a 2 post hoist,

save removing the bonnett, the plenum cover, wipers and trim from top of the engine bay and potentially creating many marks, chips and scratches

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I was able to source the techline (from another forum) for the proceedure they said had to be followed when fitting an L77 in a 2006-2010 VE SS which was fitted with an L98.

Here is a PDF.
View attachment 126585

Pretty basic tech bulletin. No rocket science there. Where does it mention the L77?

I wonder if all your L98 valve train components were match-marked and refitted into their original order (meaning they change the cam, lifters & pushrods from the L98) into the new block. I'm thinking NOT.

Sounds like a comedy of errors by the uneducated!!

I think they should jack-up the compliance plate and roll a new car underneath or accidently burn it to a shell and cut their losses...

Its not fair to sell a product and then to practice trying to make it right when the buyer (public) is disadvantaged by the actions. We need to learn alot about automotive customer service in this fine land.:spew: