Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[URGENT] Anyone recommend a VSCCS engineer for certificate

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Most of these type of mods need engineers approval "prior" to doing the job. That way they can guide you in the correct direction. Wouldnt be surprised if your brakes will need to be upgraded as well, thats if you get that far with an engineer.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Just for the record, i got my VK engineered by VMC engineering in Sydney, very thorough and is happy to do all necessary testing for emissions. the emissions testing costs heaps though. My setup inst real extreme so i just opted to fit a std VS air intake and that was all i required to change, to engineer a POD filter he needed to do a driveby sound pollution test. I have hi- flow cats as well, they are not a problem with emissions laws.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Well thank you for your helpful input. VMC is who im leaning towards as a friend recommended
I can get an emissions test done for free at the RTA test facilities in Botany or Penrith.

What was done to your VK? And how much did it cost roughly?

Thanks mate
Just for the record, i got my VK engineered by VMC engineering in Sydney, very thorough and is happy to do all necessary testing for emissions. the emissions testing costs heaps though. My setup inst real extreme so i just opted to fit a std VS air intake and that was all i required to change, to engineer a POD filter he needed to do a driveby sound pollution test. I have hi- flow cats as well, they are not a problem with emissions laws.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Why do you want a reasonable and co-operative engineer? Their personality has no bearing on whether the car is safe/legal or not.

Hahaha - not sure if this is meant as a joke or not, but it made me smile anyway.

AirStrike, in an ideal world you would be correct. However, in all walks of regulation life I have experienced the regulators (such as, rego inspection, driver testing, building inspection, local councils, WHS, etc, etc, etc) you strike those with a reasonable approach or others who can be completely unreasonable, unhelpful and negative.

A bit like the variety of people and advice on forums too I guess!! :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Well thank you for your helpful input. VMC is who im leaning towards as a friend recommended
I can get an emissions test done for free at the RTA test facilities in Botany or Penrith.

What was done to your VK? And how much did it cost roughly?

Thanks mate

please can you report back with the findings of the emission test?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
People have helped, just you didn't hear what you wanted.

Not really picking up on that help. It's not like he asked for a dodgy certificate, there's an engineer in the ACT who will apparently jerk you around at every corner (sometimes in an unprofessional manner) and TAMS in the ACT still might not even accept his certificate whilst charging ridiculous amounts of money, I don't think asking for a co-operative engineer isn't an unreasonable request. I'm reading that some people instantly equate co-operative with dodgy.

OP, you should check on your states RTA site as they may have a list of preferred engineers, then probably go based on other peoples experiences with them.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will definitely report back. I have spoken to Rob at VMC and basically said ill need upgraded brakes (already have VT so will be ok) and factory air box (to avoid more expensive tests, and will be about $1000.00, provided everything is in check.

Emissions should be fine as the motor is very young and tight, also using a 200cpi magnaflow cat which (should suffice), also my tuner is going to make me up an 'emission friendly' tune to flash on and run as map b when on the emission dyno :)

Will post back with updates (when i finally get some time to get stuff done)

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so I had my emissions test today at Botany. And I passed :) Now its time to get the engineer to sign off on it. P.S. Suck on that to everyone who said 'oh it'll never pass' :p