Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent black VZ paint help!

Azza2412

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz commodore
Hey everyone,
Was just looking for some help/ideas for my commodore.

Quick run through-
Bought a black 05 vz commodore for $1000 due to **** paint job, bit rough. Not exactly sure what type of paint was used but looked like aerosol can. Just looked to spray it, rims, tidy up, and quick sale, well....

Sprayed over it with acrylic(1-2coats) but painter used completely wrong mix ratios and come out thick as sh!£ like flakey sand paper kind of effect. Than went over with orbital can't be exact what course they were. Followed by wet n dry think was 400, 600, 800.

It now looks like a big scratched swirl pad in the sun now and got no idea best way to go about it.
Also I know the whole quality costs thing but I'm looking for cheapest cost effective way as not looking to keep the car.

Was thinking just prime it and a nice black in 2pac, PPG think my old man gets cost price if not it's something close to that.
All help much appreciated

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Get a new painter.

Even when I spray acrylic it turns out respectable, and I'm not a painter.
Not sure if you will make a profit if you get it resprayed again unless you do it yourself. Maybe just sell it as is, or give it a shot yourself, should look better then you described anyway.
If you have the facilities for 2pac and you get it for roughly the same price, then do that.

Of course you could always polish the paint as is, but you'd probably have to first wetsand with 1200, 1500, 2000, then compound, then at least 1 finishing polish for it to look half decent. Black is a bitch.

Azza2412

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz commodore
Hey sleepa believe it or not he was actually a real good painter, he just isn't very smart when it comes to mixing ratios and stuff like that, but his locked up again now anyways so gonna have to find another one. I'll take some photos this arvo to put on.

And Davey believe it or not my dad actually owns his own detailing business but the paint/metal is that bad no buff/polish could make it look good.

Azza2412

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz commodore
say I was to go over it with 2pac or acrylic, would I just prime the surface than spray over it yeah? Doesn't need base coats or anything? Keep in mind I'm looking for price effective but something that will still sell?
Thanks guys

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If you put acrylic over it, it will probably craze, and look worse than now.

If you can smooth it off enough a coat of 2-pac might do the trick, but an old way was a coat of enamel.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
And Davey believe it or not my dad actually owns his own detailing business but the paint/metal is that bad no buff/polish could make it look good.

I was more referring to wet sanding first, and then compound & polish. But without seeing it, it's hard to give advice..

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you put acrylic over it, it will probably craze, and look worse than now.

If you can smooth it off enough a coat of 2-pac might do the trick, but an old way was a coat of enamel.

He needs to determine what type of paint it has on it already. Acrylic and enamel are not compatible with one another. You can paint acrylic over 2 pack, but not 2 pack over acrylic. To paint 2 pack over acrylic you need to either use an isolator or remove all of the acrylic paint.

Painting isn't cheap or easy. If you try and cheap out, you'll end up spending more money than you would have if you paid for a half decent job in the first place.

Ssambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8 Sedan, VY 3.8 Wagon, VY SS 5.7 Sedan
Sand it back with 600 grit wet until the paint looks flat. (No pitting) Respray it with 2 coats of black acrylic lacquer, thinned at a ratio of 1.5 litres of thinners to 1 litre of paint. If you have sanded through the colour to the primer anywhere, it may take another coat or two. The least amount of coats you need to achieve coverage the better. Once you have coverage, spray 4 coats of Acrylic Lacquer clear over it, thinned at almost 2 parts thinners to 1 part clear. Leave to dry for an hour or so before you unmask it. Wait a week before rubbing it down with 1200 grit wet paper. Sand until flat, (no pitting) then polish with a proper polisher (like a big angle grinder but it spins at 1800rpm) with a orange foam polishing pad. Use a decent polishing compound. Once you've polished all of the sanding marks out of the clear coat, put a finer polishing pad on the polisher and go over it with a finer polishing compound. Wash the car with soapy water and a sponge, towel it down and then finish polishing it with a good quality wax. Everything you need to do this can be purchased from Supercheap, with the exception of the decent polishing compounds. I have painted all of the Commys that you will see in my profile. I used to do it for a living... ;) It's a lot of work, which is why car painters charge so much - a.) Paint is fecking expensive and b.) it's a lot of fecking work to achieve a professional finish!!