Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Brake light question

JJ08

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 vn s pack
Hi i noticed today that I had no brake lights working so I checked the bulbs and fuses they are good so isearched on here and found out it could be the switch so I had a look and mine has two one with four pins and two wires and the other has four pins and four wires I'm just wondering would I need to replace both or can I do one because I went looking at all different shops today and nowhere has a second on (got the last from the wreckers)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
what car are we talking about? profile says vt? never owned a vt but the other switch could be for the cruise control. i had one fail on my vp recently, the cruise and brake switches were identical so i just swapped the wires over to the good one leaving the cruise dead till i get around to sourcing a replacement.

JJ08

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 vn s pack
Its 1991 vn s pack can you remember what one was for cruise control and Wich one the brake was that for the reply

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Image1429.jpg

one with two wires will most likely be the brake light switch.. pull connecter off bridge the two wires with a paper clip and see if lights come on. Ignition off for the love of baby jesus though.

ive attached a picture of my old pedal box which shows the brake light switch

JJ08

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 vn s pack
Would mine be any different being I have 2 though

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
To that picture yes... your car wont have that many pedals lol but only difference really is my car didnt have cruise control.

Trust me here I'm a qualified mechanic so just try what i said that will confirm that your brake light switch is the one with the four pins/2wires

It wont blow your car up or set it on fire. Just dont let the wire clip (if u use the paper clip, small piece of insulated wire would also work) touch earth etc because then u will start welding :p

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
No brake lights will be the 2 wire switch.
The switch will be interchangeable with a VN/VP/VR/VS one.

The 4 wire one is only for the cruise control. Won't affect the brake lights

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
Read the way he described it.. he described the switches as both 4 pin, 1 with 2 wires off it and 1 with 4 wires.

Read again what i said. then tell me im wrong again please.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I once had this on my vn and it turned out to be the contacts in the fuse box, I just scratched up the surface a bit and all was good. My fuse was ok but power wasn't getting through the contacts. As above, definitely eliminate brake switch first though, just need a test lamp or bridge the wires as suggested.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
4 wire switch is the brake lights.
2 wires for brake circuit and 2 wires for crs.

Grey plugs are the cruise circuit, must be one on each switch.
The cruise uses both switches as a fail safe.

Orange/blue trace and blue/forgot what color trace wires are brakes, join these together to confirm the brake circuit is working then swap these onto the other switch as you have 2 switches the same, if the wires reach...... otherwise change the switch positions and connect the brake wires that way, very rare for 2 switches to fail at the same time especially when one wasn't being used (some vehicles have 2 different switches and this can't be done) make sure they are connected to the 2 terminals on the switch closest to the engine bay otherwise the brake lights will be on all the time and off when you press the pedal.

To remove the switches they just pull out carefully, to install push the brake pedal slightly in and push both switches in as far as they'll go, then grab the brake pedal and slowly pull it back towards the seat, the switches will click into the correct position.

Crs plugs must be on the terminals closest to the drivers seat and brakes must be on the terminals closest to the engine bay.
Crs switches are no (normally open) and brake is nc (normally closed) contacts

Last edited: