Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent!!! Car Canaryed. Dont Know How To Fix Horn

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Last nights I was driving along and I got pulled over by a cop and my car got canaryed.

PROBLEMS NEEDING TO BE FIXED:
- LIGHTING - Brake Lights To Operate
- Indicator Lense Front And Rear to be replaced
- WINDSCREEN - To be repaired or replaced
- HORN - To Operate

Most of these are simple purchases which I will make like indicator lenses etc but the horn is where Im baffled. I have an after market steering wheel on and when I was taking the old one off I briefly went away to take a piss and when I got back my mates had taked it off. I wasnt dissapointed or anything but they didnt take notice on how everything went and I dont have a horn as such now.

All I have is. Copper Ring > Boss Kit > Steering Wheel. I have a horn button but dont know how to hook it up. It has 2 wires coming out of it. Could someone please tell me how I install it?

Also, does anyone know if polishing out scratches in a windscreen are expensive? I have 2 scratches from windscreen wiper blades.
I appreciate your help. Thanks guys

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
I think one wire is for an earth.Screw it in to somewhere on the wheel and plug in the other as normal.I think thats how it works.

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
He didnt say the wheel was unroadworthy (mine is a momo ripoff and has the required ammount of padding etc) it was because my horn doesnt work. Becoase he looked at it and was fine and said put indicators on, headlights, beep horn.

Adam, you know how you said plug one is as normal. Where does that plug into. I dont have anywires to plug it into.

Thanks

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
one wire gets screwed or plugged into the boss kit itself or there abouts.... the other wire get plugged into the back of the push button horn.. when the push button on the horn is placed into the steering wheel it makes contact via some metal prongs... at this point its a open ciruit... push the horn button closes the circuit and hence give u ur beep...

hope it somewhat helps...

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
is it just a cop shop defect or a inspection centre?????????

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
What futronix said

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
saint_matrix said:
He didnt say the wheel was unroadworthy (mine is a momo ripoff and has the required ammount of padding etc) it was because my horn doesnt work. Becoase he looked at it and was fine and said put indicators on, headlights, beep horn.

Adam, you know how you said plug one is as normal. Where does that plug into. I dont have anywires to plug it into.

Thanks

If its a proper inspection they will check the wheel. Real Momo wheels have a proper stamp on the back of them, like an ADR number. And obviously they say Momo etc too. He might not have said it, but when the defect is checked they probably will.

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
If its a proper inspection they will check the wheel. Real Momo wheels have a proper stamp on the back of them, like an ADR number. And obviously they say Momo etc too. He might not have said it, but when the defect is checked they probably will.

Hello, the last time I got a canary it was exactly like this. And what I had to do is go to a Vicroads office, a guy/woman comes out and checks the problems listed to see if they have been fixed, says yes thats fine, or not. Last time they did not check my entire car, only the problems listed.
I have posted the defect notice below.

I doubt they check what brand your steering wheel is and decide whether it is roadworthy depending on if its a Momo or Isotta. I have been told by Autobarne that the reason most steering wheels they carry are unroadworthy is because they dont have the required ammount of padding around the horn area, as there is a certain ammount required for safety.

But either way thats not my current concern. Thankyou for the help with the horn I now understand how the circuit works, but my horn does have two wires coming out of it, but there is no wire coming out of my car to plug the horn to. Could someone please be able to tell me where the wire comes out of so that I can put another one there. Thankyou

Attachments

• Defect.jpg
    Defect.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 481

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
It doesnt matter if your wheel has adequete padding. If it doesnt meet the adrs ie tested theyl do u for it. If they want to be pricks theyl just give you another for having the wrong steering wheel. They love doin that here in sa. Have you got a Gregories manual? Guess not. Thatl tell you what u need to know. I think there should be 2 wires going into the back of your boss kit then another 1 or 2 going to your horn button. There should be spade terminals built into your boss kit that the wires connect to. Goodluck with it.