Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT: Coolant Temp Sensor wont come out, Hex edges have become rounded

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Guys went to replace coolant temp sensor today, the prick wouldnt come loose, then the edges on it have rounded, not even the ring spanner could grip on nor the socket

its a bit f#cked i dunno what to do

maybe drill a hole directly down the middle of it, put a steel rod through and turn it like a tap

i dunno is there any way to get it out

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Stilsons\pipe wrench. The sensor will be replaced anyway, so just get hold of it with a pipe wrench and turn it.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Stilsons\pipe wrench. The sensor will be replaced anyway, so just get hold of it with a pipe wrench and turn it.

thanks mate, heres me freaking out like new manifolds required and all that chaos

and seems its a piece if piss to fix, just an old pipe wrench then bingo!

gonna stop into a local mechanic tomorrow, see whos nice enough to give me a good deed for day :)

must say tho, I have kinda hacked into a bit, even used a file to un-round it lol

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Yeah I'd try to file two wide flat sides and go at it that way. Just a warning though, if its really jammed in there your efforts might break the top right off the sensor and leave you with the threaded end stuck in there and nothing to grab on to, and since it's a pretty thin thread, you will have a tough time resorting to something like an "easy out", then you're in what I would definitely call a bad situation.

I've done something similar before trying to get a rusty old thermostat bolt out of an ecotec; I got a good grip on it, turned, and the part that was left sticking out just snapped right off. I ended up having to replace the manifold lol.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Yeah I'd try to file two wide flat sides and go at it that way. Just a warning though, if its really jammed in there your efforts might break the top right off the sensor and leave you with the threaded end stuck in there and nothing to grab on to, and since it's a pretty thin thread, you will have a tough time resorting to something like an "easy out", then you're in what I would definitely call a bad situation.

I've done something similar before trying to get a rusty old thermostat bolt out of an ecotec; I got a good grip on it, turned, and the part that was left sticking out just snapped right off. I ended up having to replace the manifold lol.

eww yes thats what I figured ive done

I hav snapped the black plug socket off it but fortunately the 2 pins are still in place so i'll hav to cable tie the loom on :)

the sensor to come out it anticlock wise direction surely aye?

can car be driven without sensor connected

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The sensor will unscrew in the normal direction (anticlockwise).. Running the engine without the sensor connected will not harm anything, it will however cause a code to set in the ECU and this will then cause the cooling fans will run continuously whenever the car is running. Just clear the codes when the new sensor is fitted by disconnecting the battery for a minute or two.. New sensors usually come with some sort of anti seizing treatment on the threads of the sensor. You can add extra anti seizing compound (loctite etc) to the threads to make life easier if it ever needs to be removed again at a later stage..

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
I did the exact same thing trying to get mine out :(

This is what i had to use to remove it, also removed the belt and the rad hose and my coil packs.
vicegrip.jpg

edit - yes i know they are vice grips -.-

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I did the exact same thing trying to get mine out :(

This is what i had to use to remove it, also removed the belt and the rad hose and my coil packs.
vicegrip.jpg

edit - yes i know they are vice grips -.-

a bloke in adelaide got caught driving, with no steering wheel & just vice grips on the wheel thread aye :hmmm:

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
i used a ture iron once, to move my car round on the street, just put the nut back on and as tight as i could get it and the tyre iron XP

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
UPDATE: Well i tried some vice-grips, had no chance of gripping

I pipe wrench i cant afford, until payday

so i stopped by a local mechanic, he had a shot at it

he managed to hammer on a 18mm socket (original size is 19mm), it didnt slip on the rounded edges, BUT now have discovered the sensor is locked in there and aint coming out

he tried with a massive breaker bar too

did for free, but no luck

said needs time to take off the coil pack so, he could get in closer, so the ratchet can be used without an extension

so drove off with no luck

then went to my main mechanic, 30kms away, i was gonna do it myself, but he reckons i might break it, and then we're f#cked

so might soak it in CRC for a couple weeks...