Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

urgent: Drycell Battery making hissing type noises after recharge

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
hey guys,
just left my battery on charge over night and now its making like a hissing noise, its just sitting on my bench, nothing connected to it. Doesnt feel warm or anything?

I've charged it heaps of times with the same charger and this has never happened before.
its a optima d34 yellowtop
cheers in advance.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
All sealed batteries should have a purge valve... Wait and see if it stops, might just be venting off the fumes from a big charge.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
is your battry ventilated if not when u charge it ur meant to unscrew the little things up the top when u charge

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
is your battry ventilated if not when u charge it ur meant to unscrew the little things up the top when u charge

Unscrew what things? where you put the water?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
^Yep, The little caps that you undo to check the fluid levels should be undone and sitting loosely to allow the battery to vent the gasses generated during charging. If you look closely at the caps you should see tiny pin holes that allow this venting during normal operation. Thjese pinholes struggle to vent all the gas during a full recharge so should be removed.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
My Yellowtop did the same thing whilst on the charge out of the car. It's since been put back in the car without any issues.