Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help needed, grinding noise

SSbeast

Reaction score
A mate of mine was checking out my car, and we started it up and sounded fine, but then we slowly winded up the throttle and at around 2K a slight grinding noise, like dry bearings started, and the more we opend it up the worse it got. It was defiently coming from the back of the engine, but when u dropped back to idle it was gone. I drove the car home about 60K away and i got home and did the same thing, but no noise no grinding sounded fine. We my mate checked it out the engine was cold. I think mabye it needed time to warm up but not sure. I'm just concerned about bearing damage from the grinding, does anyone know what it could be or do i just need to warm her up? Thanks. By the way it's a VR V6 Series 2 Engine, not-ecotec.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

SSbeast

Reaction score
I don't know, haven't checked, but anything anyone could think of is welcome from the worst to the not so bad. But would the balance shaft make that noise from the back?

SSbeast

Reaction score
The sound i'm getting though isn't a rattle, it's a grinding noise, and if it was the balance shaft what would cause it? No oil to bearings?

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
Next time it makes the noise turn the enigine off, Take of the Serpentine belt, (the really big fan belt) and start it again, but not for to long. This will rule out, all your pulleys, including alternator, power sterring pump, Aircon, Tensioner pulley, water pump. If its a grinding, my monies on Water pump or maybe alternator? But remember dont run it with out that belt for long!

and if it was the balance shaft what would cause it? No oil to bearings?

That and poor design. I got lucky that the removal of my shaft didn't cause any Viabrations!

SSbeast

Reaction score
yeah i'll give that a shot, but the noise was defiently coming from the rear nearly right on the join of the bell housings of the trans and the engine. A mate said it might be the torque converter come loss or the flex plate broken, but wouldn't that make a sound all the time? Or does sound travel well through these engines.

vracclaim2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
LOL oh yeah sound travels! On one of my old posts about my rattle (which ended up being the balance shaft) I actually removed my torque converter and replaced it because I was 99% sure thats where the noise was coming from.