Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT HELP NEEDED: torsion bars??

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
hey guys my car went to a mechanic and got a new clutch put in today and he said that my torsion bars were bent from a gutter hit which is weird coz i havent hit one?? but he quoted $700 to fix plus $250 labour i dunno about this sounds suss to me i would do it myself if i knew how or what these things are can someone help me please

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
probably old damage it will put your alignment out and will slowly scrub your tyres more

if you stick your head under the car you will be able to see if they are bent but i would doubt the mechanic would lie. you could fix it your self for $50 if you have patience but for a mechanic thats an average price as they always rip every poor person off and will always quote brand new parts where second hand ones would be just as good and he would be quoting new bushes aswell.

you could just live with it but if you put expensive tyres on it would be a woth while repair but like i said have a look on both sides and you will be able to see if one or both are bent and if you dont want to do it your self shop around, you will be able to get it done alot cheaper but i honestly would just do it myself

H

HATER VP

Take it to another mechanic. Are you sure its not something else he's talking about

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
new info just found out its not the torsion bars its the torsion bar braces they are snapped and no longer there

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Do you mean those little mounting brackets with the rubber? Is it front and rear?

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
yea the little metal things that go from the bar to strut brace only in front

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Ok so the torsion bar's still good and we're talking about the brackets that secure the middle section of the torsion bar to the chassi rails? You could get some of these from the wreckers for next to nothing and would only take a short time to put them in. Are you sure it's just this because $700 + $250 labour sounds really out there. Have you got a photo of where they're snapped off? Maybe there's also some damage to the chassi rails at these points.

If I've missunderstood you and you're talking about the links that connect the torsion bar to the control arms then these would also be relatively cheap and easy to replace.

canb_vn06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais turbs vr 3.8
the little bars that go to the strut brace ive looked at one side is bent one side is not there but went to a wrecker this morning bought the parts for $80 so tell that mechanic to clearly get ****ed waste of time with him and even more money