Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT HELP NEEDED! with jump starting

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
im needing to jump start my VS and was wondering which side is negative and which is positive as neither of them are red

thanks guys :)

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Negative will be marked with a minus sign (-).

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
yeah figured that out with the help of a torch :D

but, it wouldnt start or turn over or anything it just made this little click noise any ideas whats wrong?

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
With the donor car running, you should have positive to positive terminals and negative terminals. Start the car with the flat battery. If it doesn't start rev the donor car and try again with yours.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive noticed that some battery terminals have a clear plastic coating on them,make sure that the jumper lead contacts are touching the actaul battery pole as well as the terminal.

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
its not from another car, its with dads jumper kit which i reckon is f***n useless but they dont want to use their cars
when clipped on to the terminal the light in the car come back on but it wont turn over

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just make sure the metal contacts on the jumper pack battery lead clamps,touch the actual battery poles and not just the battery terminals,as some battery terminals are clear plastic coated.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Leave the pack sit on for 10 minutes, see if that helps. Also put the neagative down on the engine block somwhere near the starter. That can often help.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
How long was it left sitting?

I had my old VN sitting at my bros for about 3 months and when I tried to start it, it was dead flat.

Then I tried the jumper pack but it didn't have enough power.

Then we tried to jump start it with one of my brothers vans but it still didn't have enough power.

I was about to give up when he said put the jumper pack on as well while it was still connected to the van, I wasnt sure at first but I though what the hell... when it was connected to both it turned over first try, took it for about an hour drive and continued to use the battery for around another 3 years till the car was sold.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As VRWagZ1 says, the correct way to jump start is NOT to directly connect the negative terminals of both batteries:

1. Position the two vehicles so that they are NOT touching and apply the park brakes. Automatic transmission are to be placed in PARK and manual transmissions placed in NEUTRAL. Turn 'OFF' the ignition, lights and all other electrical loads.
NOTE: Ensure that booster vehicle's battery has a 12 volt rating and has negative earth connection, otherwise serious injury or damage to electrical equipment may result.
2. On both batteries, check that vent caps are tight.
3. Attach one end of one jumper cable (red) to the positive terminal of the booster battery and the other end of the same cable to the positive terminal of the discharged battery.
4. Attach one end of the second jumper cable (black) to the negative terminal of the booster battery and the other end to a solid stationary, metallic point on the engine of the vehicle with the discharged battery. DO NOT CONNECT DIRECTLY TO NEGATIVE POST OF DISCHARGED BATTERY.
5. After making all connections, ensure that jumper cables are not on or near drive pulleys, cooling fans or other points that will move when the engine is started.
6. Start the engine in the vehicle with the booster battery and run the engine at a moderate speed for a few minutes.
7. Start the engine in the vehicle with the discharged battery. Once engine starts, allow both engines to idle for approximately five to ten minutes (this allows both vehicles electrical systems to balance) and then leave running and remove the jumper cables by reversing the installation sequence. When removing each clamp, take care that it does not touch any other metal while the other end remains attached.
NOTE: If engine in the vehicle with discharged battery does not start within 30 seconds, stop cranking the engine and check for cause of engine not starting.