Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT help required. lost car keys

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
i have lost the keys to my gfs ford meteor.

have no spare. is there a way to cut key via chassis number via a dealer or something?

or a locksmith? or a new lock and barrel set from somewhere? (cant find any. does someone know?)

this is quite urgent as im moving to brisbane next week-ish

cheers
s0sage

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
a locksmith will be able to hook you up with a lock and barrel set with some new keys.... i dont think they can cut keys without a master to copy from

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
locksmiths can cut keys from looking at the number on the barrel of the ignition, door and boot locks...

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I have had a new key cut at the locksmiths taking the door barrel as the sample.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
locksmith might be the way to go ... how costly was the job for you vt1538?

i have lost the keys to my gfs ford meteor.

well i tried to tell her it was accidental :p

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
relax...obvisouly you got in to it... Go to the wreckers and pick yourself a new ignition barrel, two door locks and trunk lid lock and you can have the door locks all in in about 45 mins and the iginition barrel takes about 45 by itself. No big problems..btw, last time I had to do that they charged me $50 for the lot :)

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
you deliberately lost it to make her stuck when ya go.. lol

You sure the key isnt IN the car?

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
A Locksmith is able to cut a new key if you take in the door lock. They usually ask for the passenger side lock and the bootlock to work from.
This is because they are less worn than the drivers door lock.
Pay $25 - 30 for the new key go home, reinstall the locks, try the new key and find it opens the door and the boot but will not turn in the ignition barrell because it is worn. Very common with older well used cars. I learnt the hard way myself.
I'd follow 12Volt King's advice as it is quicker and easier and Lasers/Meteors are very common.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Take the drivers side door lock & it is worn as much as the ignition. I had no problems with mine.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
If you've got the original service book they key number should be in there if the supplying dealer wasn't too slack.

If you don't have this, the key number is normally stamped on the lock barrels, and the boot one is usually easiest to get to on the MX6. They key number should be a letter and 4 numbers i.e. D1234 if i'm remembering right.

Once you have the key number you should be able to get a ready cut key from Mazda without too much hassle if you go in with chassis number and key number (or you used to be able to when I worked for a Mazda dealership).

If your car has a factory immobiliser the key may need coding so it will start the car. We used to charge the equivalent of about $125 to cut and code a key.