Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Help VS V8 Ute

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
OK, will ring him this morning and get him to check imobiliser first, then look for wet or broken connections.

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
Back again, my son changed the coil on advise from a Holden Dealer.
He could not get the old coil out, so he cut the wires and wired to the new coil. The car started then stopped, it keeps doing this, it will not keep running.
Now a question, he can't see which is positive or negative on the old coil, why on earth would you place a coil and distributor way at the rear of an engine?? So he assumed that positive was under the nut and stud and negative has the spade terminals, IS HE RIGHT ??? Bosch coil. I hope he does not have the coil connection reversed. I think we are close, it could be just coincidence that the new heavier leads finally killed an old coil !!!!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I know zero about V8's but I'm pretty sure all Bosch coils have the polarity marked on them. There is a wiring diagram at Dr Bobs: Rob's Creative Calibrations - Wiring Diagrams
Even with the coil reversed it still should run.
If it was a V6 I'd say it's starting then stopping because no power is going to the fuel pump except for the 2 second priming done when you turn the ignition key on - once the engine kicks over and fires/runs the oil pressure switch then supplies power to the fuel pump. This is a safety item - if you prang the car and the engine stops the fuel supply also has to stop...which it does when oil pressure drops. It's possible the V8 uses the same system but V8's are not what I've got. (check the wiring diagram)
Anyway, on a V6 this fuel problems can occur if the oil pressure switch is flooded with water shorting the internals.....if it is buggered it cannot supply the power for the fuel pump and the engine only runs for a few seconds on the initial prime from turning the key on.
Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
Thanks Hako, sounds like we have something positive to check tomorrow, will post back our progress. Great forum.

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
Just a quick note on the problem we have with car not running. We have worked out, thanks to Hako, that if you do not have oil pressure the fuel pump stops, good saftey thing.
Now, with the fuel rail pressurised and the fuel pump not working, how long would the car run before it ran out of fuel and stopped. What I am asking here is that at the moment we suspect the oil pressure switch, is there anything else.
Looking at the circuit diagram, you turn on the key until all the dash lights come on, the fuel pump starts and then cuts out on pressure switch, the rail in pressurised. You then turn the key further to start the car and the dual contact oil pressure switch takes over, if oil pressure is not reached the fuel pump will not run. The only time delay on this happening is the amount of pressurised fuel in the rail.
Can anyone add to this??

my son can't get near the car until the weekend as he gets home too late form work during the week.

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
I forgot to add, my son can't get time to work on car until the weekend as he gets home from work late.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Im not aware of a pressure switch in the rail. Last i checked the fuel pump is just connected via a relay on a timer. If you wait a few seconds without starting the car you can hear the pump time out. Then you have the oil pressure switch bridged across the relay.

FusionX

Reaction score
that if you do not have oil pressure the fuel pump stops, good saftey thing.

This in not correct. I've had a few oil pressure switches fail and 1 oil pump. The motor will run without oil pressure. What I have found out before, is that the oil pressure switch can short out and blow the fuel pump fuse (only happened once due to my dodgey wiring)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
^^^ correct the oil pressure switch fuel pump control is only a back-up should the main system fail.it will run without it even plugged in

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
My son rang a Holden Service Shop today and they said the Series II VS V8 Ute did not have an oil pressure switch that controls the fuel pump as well as the oil light. I want to get to the bottom of this by Saturday so he can work on it. There are so many conflicting stories we do not who to believe, not from JC but outside sources. The biggest problem is that the kid does not have much spare change to play with and he has only have this car for a week and now very disapppointed. The rest of the car is in perfect condition. If I could get time to go to Brisbane I could fix it is 15 minutes I am sure.