Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help with ly7 vz timing chains from mace!!!!

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Hey guys, having an issue wilst installing the new timing chains. Have already timed the left bank and main chain after replacing the oil pump. Went to time the second bank after rotating to the second stage marks and it won't line up???? I've paid a lot of money and this is stressing me out. The cam gears with the lock in place are like 20° retarded from the pictures and the intermediate gear hole is like 15-20° advanced? Heeeeellllpppp!!!!!

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They won’t line up after you’ve rotated the engine - but that doesn’t mean the timings wrong, just that the chain won’t fall in the same place on the sprockets every revolution.

Just take your time and follow your manual.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Have followed everything it says I'm just very aware that these are an interference motor and really don't wanna f**K it up. Your sure that it won't be an issue putting it together not on the timing marks?

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Hey Jason no it's not yet sorted but I'd happy to chat after work. Mob is 0478821927 I finish at 4:30 Sa time

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Do yourself a favour, remove the chains and start again just to be on the safe side. If the timing is wrong the result is bent valves. A hell of a lot more work involved if that happens, and cost.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Yeah I know that belt valves is a possibility but even if it's not the ecu and BCM are very close to going pop as it is so wouldn't really be of use for the amount of work to start again. Plus without having everything in the right position or a way to get it there I can't see it fixing the problem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
If you remove the chains the motor can be turned without damage, allowing you to start again. Once the motor has been turned (with chains on) the timing mark's will almost never line up again.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
What position do I need to out the cams in before removing the chains? I feel like the more I move the more damage I'm going to do.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
For removal the flats on the rear of the camshafts should be parellel to the cylinder head (facing upwards) and the crankshaft timing mark should line up with the oil pump timing mark on the left. You may need to rotate the crankshaft 1 full turn