Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help with ly7 vz timing chains from mace!!!!

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Thanks Michael it's has been difficult but the car is basically garaged permanently until fixed and we're hoping to buy a different car in the mean time. I'm not blaming mace at all im positive it's probably an error or missread step I have made. I'll try and call someone from your team when I get time as I work a lot during the week.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
how often was the oil changed lol
Not a lot, and yet it still lasted over 300k. Up until the last couple of days it still ran smooth and idled normal, though it had been losing power for a while. The idle only got rough after I put some engine cleaner through it, WAY TOO LITTLE TOO LATE I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I think the engine cleaner did more harm than good. All it did was loosen up the crap and allow to circulate and block oil passages etc, there was just too much of it to remove. Luckily it only lasted a week after the engine cleaner or I think it would have ended up with a lot more damage.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
what cleaner did you use ive seen some posts about using desil fuel to clean it out first

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It wasn't cheap, but that doesn't matter, with the volume of crap that was in the engine NO cleaner was ever gonna be able to do its job.
As for diesel, if I had NO other option then yes I would use it. It has lubricating and cleaning properties.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Running an aggressive cleaning agent when the engine is slushed up this badly is mostly a bad idea as it will loosen up all the **** and send it into the sump resulting in a blocked oil pick up and loss of oil pressure. A better option my be to run a diesel type oil which has more detergent type additives and change it out regularly to slowly remove the built up crap.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
A better option my be to run a diesel type oil which has more detergent type additives and change it out regularly to slowly remove the built up crap.

What diesel oil do you recommend and how long should it be in the vehicle? I have an 05 wagon with 297K on the clock and want to do this my next oil change

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Diesel oils can be found in most grades so find one that is the same recommended grade for your engine but specified for a diesel engine.