Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT PROBLEM!

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
We have owned 4 dogs. They have all been quite different. The first was a pig dog that we were given because the mother abandoned the litter. The second we were given he was half English staffy, don't know who dad was. He would eat everything that was put in front of him plus. When he was four we got an English purebred staffy girl puppy to keep him company. Once unknown to me my wife had fed the pair of them so I fed them. She wasn't hungry but he ate his and after a reasonable time ate hers. Our latest dog is an American purebred staffy girl puppy, while the others have been different to each other she is completely different. We feed her when her bowl is nearly empty and this will last her into the next day . She is best described as a snacker. One thing they have in common is they have had great natures. We have also been lucky that we got them all as puppies and have been able to train them ourselves. Treat a dog well and you will have a friend for life.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
cats don't eat poison baits, there smell is very acute, tons better than even a drug/bomb dog, it didn't leave because of the baits. Be very careful if you have pet dogs, because being garbage guts they will eat anything even obvious poison like slug pellets
They eat it if its in powder form and put in their food, I'm not a fan of cats even though we had them when young they piss and crap around the home even with a kitty litter box, I rather a dog over a cat in saying that I'm against killing any animal unless its for food. Their are to many wild animals being killed for trophies I seen Dear hunters wasting Dear meat left behind in the hills because its to hard to cart out so they take the head and backstraps and leave the rest. Best thing if they scratching in your garden is a rabbit trap with a claw cut off gives them a hell of a fright.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Cats hate Mineral Turpentine, if that's any help. It worked for me with my gravel driveway that the next door neighbours cat kept shitting in the fine gravel. The neighbour supplied me with 10 litres of turps and said to just spray it on the gravel every so often and I'd find the problem solved. well the problem was solved and no more heaps in the driveway.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Catnap the bastard and release it about 20 miles off the area and/or a BB Gun, they are not lethal and sting like a MoFo.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are a number of sprays, both home made and store bought, that can be effective.

Have a google of "cat deterrent spray" and choose your poison.
They aren't effective. They work for a few days at best. This is comparative to other methods, only it has a major expense associated.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cats hate Mineral Turpentine, if that's any help. It worked for me with my gravel driveway that the next door neighbours cat kept shitting in the fine gravel. The neighbour supplied me with 10 litres of turps and said to just spray it on the gravel every so often and I'd find the problem solved. well the problem was solved and no more heaps in the driveway.
This is on the right track.
A softer option is to regularly spray eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil in strong concentration around the area. All the same concept, which we will get to.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no single solution. No silver bullet, just silver buckshot.

There are several ways to approach it.
1. Talk to the neighbours but that's not always a good option.
2. Legally and morally no harm can come to the animal.
3. Physical means of control.
4. Long term behaviour change thanks to step 3.

Cat-ching, killing, hurting the cat are no viable options.
You have to annoy the cat more than it's habits annoy you.

Your going to read and find stuff like plant a lavender, that works. Bullshit it does.
The underlying theme to this stuff is the plants have to have unpleasant oils that will contact the cat, which of course annoys it when it has to clean itself. Those oils will only be released with agitation of the foliage. Eg, Brush a lavender and smell your skin. Fk all. Then crush the leaf and smell your skin. Oils are released and you smell now like a french harlets panties.

So the overall approach is to start planting ground covers like Oregano, thyme, corsican mint, ground cover lantana (A weed in Aust) . So you go to the garden centre and look through the herbs and do some weird leaf crushing and finger sniffing. I suggest this because often garden centre people are not adequately trained.
Then there is planting ground covers that are spiky like Shore Juniper (as an example)

Next, its not about one plant to get this to work. *insert rainbow hippy saying, "thesse are sso natural and jusst use a lavendahh and your cat will go away". You need fricken heaps of this sort of stuff everywhere in between plants and across the whole area. This cat can't avoid stepping on these. It has to get pissed off.

Cat licks itself clean and then has to lick the yucky oils off its paws etc. Soon works out where it's from and avoids the area. This is why the turps and petrol etc thing works as well. (but contaminates the soil and overall environment) Create behavioural change.

Down side is this isn't everyones cup of tea and it might not be possible to do with certain garden designs.

They take a **** and scratch over it. If its an open area, some plastic mesh or chook wire down across the ground stops them scratching over it. I shouldn't say pin down some barbed wire through there because that harms the cat.

Then there is somewhere on the market an infra red sensor equipped squirter/sprinkler thing. Cat sets it off and it squirts the cat. Great idea. Just water. No one gets hurt. It's a commercial product.

I also had a "Shuroo" on my old ute which was amazing. Cleared everything off the road at night except cattle. Occasionally if a cat got in front of it, it would spazz out trying to get away. A 12v system that I bet you could rig up to a battery and leave on overnight.

The solution is behavioural change, so it's you verses the cat. Strongest mind wins.

This works on a similar principle to the Shuroo.
https://www.pestrol.com.au/buy-onli...MIkdP3sp3V6QIVjraWCh05Mw0_EAQYASABEgJsCPD_BwE

This is the exact product I saw demonstrated at a trade expo:
https://www.amazon.com.au/62100-Enforcer-Activated-Sprinkler-Detection/dp/B009F1R0GC

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Sack the missus and get a dog.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@immortality I found these at Bunnings. They’d surely have them over there in Bunnings in Sha-Banga-Bang , or New Zealand or what ever it’s called.

Attachments

• B2EF2BEF-C6E5-46EB-B4E1-B3ED7C12BE95.jpeg
    B2EF2BEF-C6E5-46EB-B4E1-B3ED7C12BE95.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 9C225B8B-D6B5-4AB5-8707-C9396F6D6D7D.jpeg
    9C225B8B-D6B5-4AB5-8707-C9396F6D6D7D.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 1557AB05-B533-44BE-BC4B-B59BD063778E.jpeg
    1557AB05-B533-44BE-BC4B-B59BD063778E.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 121