Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

urgent question

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
urgent gearbox question

gday all if this question pisses you off because its been asked before then please dont answer, but i need some quick info for a manual conversion. i live in perth and my auto VR just took a bad turn and i dont think the gearbox is gonna last more than a few days. i need to know if theres anywhere in perth that u can get a conversion done, and whether they do it for you or if you have to do it yourself. ive got $3000 to play with so hopefully that would cover it. any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
ebay u can pick up a whole manual conversion for around the 1500 mark gives you enough money left over to get a cam or exhaust and extractors if you dont allready have them
Or buy a heavy duty clutch for your new manual

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Agree with above... $1500 should cover a manual conversion without too much drama.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
If you shop around, and source parts, you should be able to do well, and get it done reasonably cheaply. Plus, you'll have a bit of cash left over to play around with.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
yea ive just bought a conversion from ebay yesterday and its coming early next week. now i just need someone to install it. ive heard there are a lot of people who dick you around with these kinda things. do you know of somebody whos reliable?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
That is an excellent question and what I also would like to know (considering manual conversion one day myself) is how much would the labour cost?

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
well ive found someone who can do it for me and he quoted me $600 for labour providing he doesnt have to get any extra parts. i bought the kit off ebay and the business i got it from promised me it was complete with everything you needed, and they said everything. ive got a mate who has just told me that u need a new engine if u convert to manual, i think he doesnt know what hes talking about but i wanna be sure haha, so anybody done this on a VR? did u need a new engine?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
No you wont need a new engine.

$600 doesn't sound too bad, where was that at?

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
haha to be honest im not sure where its at. somewhere south of the river i know, but im gonna call in the next few days and cruise down there to tlk to the bloke. so ill let u know when i find out. but yea i thought $600 was pretty decent considering its a bitch of a thing to do. he also said he could get it done in two days if everything went smoothly, but these things never seem to go to plan so im not getting my hopes up yet.