Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

USB 2 or USB 3

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Does anyone know what the VF is running, 2 or 3? If it is USB 2 would a USB 3 stick still work?
Also, could a USB Hub be connected so I could charge my phone as well as play music via mp3 player or stick?
I don't own the stick or the hub to try and was hoping someone could save me having to buy these items if they're not going to work.
Any comments appreciated....

Last edited:

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
Hey mate, USB3 is perfectly backwards compatible, meaning your USB3 stick will work fine in the VF.
It's pretty likely to be USB2 in the VF but it will work fine.

A hub probably won't work the way you want, because a USB port can only put out a limited amount of power, which may not be enough to power your phone and music device at the same time. A better option would be to invest in a car charger for your phone, to connect to the 12V cigarette lighter socket, these also charge most phones faster than a head unit can anyway.

Last edited:

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I have a Samsung S4 and the power output is insufficient to charge my phone. Other phone types that require less amps may be OK.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Just bought a 64g USB 3 flash drive that does not work in my VF. Don't know if it's cause of its large capacity or because USB 3 flat out does not work in the vehicle regardless of the capacity. Anyone running a 32g or 16g USB 3 in their VF?
By the way, it does work in USB 2 and 3 slots on the laptop so there's nothing wrong with the actual flash drive.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
what size file did you put on it to test? What format is the drive?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I think most if not all are MP3 files, 47g of them on a 64g USB 3 stick. Sorry, not sure what you mean by what format is the drive. I had some mp3 music folders on an old 2g USB 2 stick to see if they would work and there were no problems, same as with my 16g mp3 player, no problems. Could it have something to do with my new Windows 8 laptop that I transferred everything from?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I think most if not all are MP3 files, 47g of them on a 64g USB 3 stick. Sorry, not sure what you mean by what format is the drive. I had some mp3 music folders on an old 2g USB 2 stick to see if they would work and there were no problems, same as with my 16g mp3 player, no problems. Could it have something to do with my new Windows 8 laptop that I transferred everything from?

your 64gb is probably NTFS and many HU's can't read NTFS, if it is reformat to FAT32. I know my Alpine HU has a limit on drive size as well which I can't remember off the top of my head.

sidewhinge, it also does this stupid banking thing USB > HU's sucks.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
USB stick was formatted in exFAT as default. Re-formatted in NTFS to try it also and no go. There is something about Unit Allocation Size but I don't know what that is and am pretty sure it won't make a difference. Holden was asked all these questions around 2 weeks ago, but it seems it may be to technical for the technical department that it was forwarded to as I've had no response. I'll stay with the 16gb MP3 player for now. The weird thing is that there are missing songs when displayed and folders tend to get jumbled up hence why I wanted to try it all on a USB stick. Once I get over the $66 I spent on the 64gb USB 3 stick maybe I'll just buy a smaller one that's USB 2 and try again.
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Last edited:

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
Does the USB packing state that it's backwards compatible with USB 2? thats' on the manufacturer of the stick to do, not Holden.

They all are, USB is Forwards and Backwards compatible from 1.0 to 3.1, the only difference is the speed and current output. It's not a manufacturer requirement at all.