Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

USB 2 or USB 3

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
USB stick was formatted in exFAT as default. Re-formatted in NTFS to try it also and no go. There is something about Unit Allocation Size but I don't know what that is and am pretty sure it won't make a difference. Holden was asked all these questions around 2 weeks ago, but it seems it may be to technical for the technical department that it was forwarded to as I've had no response. I'll stay with the 16gb MP3 player for now. The weird thing is that there are missing songs when displayed and folders tend to get jumbled up hence why I wanted to try it all on a USB stick. Once I get over the $66 I spent on the 64gb USB 3 stick maybe I'll just buy a smaller one that's USB 2 and try again.
Thanks for everyone's advice.

NTFS won't help mate, put it in fat32, you can use the tool Fat32Formatter (Fat32Formatter). The USB will work unless it uses an unruly amount of current.

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Just bought a 32gb USB 2 stick to try. Its formatted in FAT32 and it works finally, but.....only when the music is copied from my Windows 7 laptop. With my new Windows 8 laptop she's a no go??? Not saying its Windows 8, maybe its a laptop setting, don't know. From the beginning old small capacity (2-4gb) flash drives formatted in FAT did the same thing, worked fine when copied from old computer but not the new one. The original 64gb USB 3 which only offered exFAT or NTFS formatting options definitely does not work from either computer. By the way, the new 32gb stick which is full to the brim indexes in about 20 seconds.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
what kyled2012 said
use fat32formatter, format it to fat32 thats the main cause of problems with drives not being recognised.

im not sure why windows even designed exFAT or its built in formatter wont even let you format to fat32 when its over 4gb or some stupid number

@banjo what format are the files? are they maybe drm protected or something silly?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Hey B-Man, fact is 32gb USB 2 in FAT32 is working for me (from older Windows 7 computer). Files are .mp3 and are in my music folder copied from my old computer to my new one. New computer will copy them onto the stick but the car won't recognise it. Are you suggesting that the same music folder copied from old computer to new computer has now become drm protected?

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
possible or a windows protection of some sort can you copy the files off the new one to the old one and then copy across?

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
According to holden engineer anything over 8gb stick wise will play up.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
B-Man -I didn't try that at the time as both computers have exactly the same music files on them. I don't have anything new music on the new computer that the old one didn't put there, and the old computer is half way across the country at the moment with the Mrs so I can't try it.

Trewman - Apart from it sometimes not playing the exact song when the car is started that it was when the car was turned off, the 32gb stick is working fine. It will pick up where it left off 75% of the time, then other times it might play the second last album that I was listening to and very occasionally the very first album played, but its done that with the MP3 player and 2gb sticks. Not a big deal but it still would be good for it to behave itself in that respect. Anyway I'm happy that I've got a large capacity stick to finally work and appreciate everyone's help and comments.

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
what kyled2012 said
use fat32formatter, format it to fat32 thats the main cause of problems with drives not being recognised.

im not sure why windows even designed exFAT or its built in formatter wont even let you format to fat32 when its over 4gb or some stupid number

Fat32 can't handle any single file being over 4GB (which is very rarely an issue) so to "fix" this fat32 isn't offered as a format option by default anymore.
More a PITA for people like Banjo who can't use their USB's in cars/tv's

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I have a brand new scandisc 63g usb3 drive,
holden dosnt pick it up on either exfat or ntfs so i have downloaded the fat32format tool posted above however it sais unnavailable for format, anyone managed to get a 64g usb drive to work, or even know how to format it into the propper format to test it?

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Reformat the USB key as FAT32 using the defaults. I assume you are using a windows computer to do the formatting. 64GB of music is a lot of music. Do you really need such a large USB key.