Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

usb port question

ray bear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE REDLINE
can i use the usb port in the centre compartment of my ute to charge a torch or is it just for audio. thanks bill

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Yes you can but might charge slowly

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
USB only provides 500mA, so depending on current draw and the smarts of your torch, it may blow a fuse (if there is one) or blow a USB driver chip within MyLink (if there is no fuse).

As such, it’s always much safer to use the cigaret lighter socket or power socket with some 12v charger to juice your devices. I believe these sockets are fused (but not 100% sure where the fuse is located).

ray bear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE REDLINE
USB only provides 500mA, so depending on current draw and the smarts of your torch, it may blow a fuse (if there is one) or blow a USB driver chip within MyLink (if there is no fuse).

As such, it’s always much safer to use the cigaret lighter socket or power socket with some 12v charger to juice your devices. I believe these sockets are fused (but not 100% sure where the fuse is located).

ray bear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE REDLINE
just a small led torch , i didn't think it would draw much, it only come with mains and usb charge cable no cigarette plug ,might be saferto get a torch with a cig plug, thanks guys, bill

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
just a small led torch , i didn't think it would draw much, it only come with mains and usb charge cable no cigarette plug ,might be saferto get a torch with a cig plug, thanks guys, bill
You could get a cigarette charger with USB port.
Find them at any servo or most major retailer

ray bear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE REDLINE
You could get a cigarette charger with USB port.
Find them at any servo or most major retailer
oh I really am getting old i didnt know of those but since you mention itI do now recall seing them . thanks ill get one