Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Used 4x4 - reviews please

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Looking at the used 4x4 market right now.

having not owned a 4x4 before I am wondering around yards, and reading online and still undecided about where my $$ should go.

2015-2017 models, trying to keep around the $40-$45K budget.

Ranger seems to dominate most reviews and my mates who bag them are squarely in the Holden forever til I die patch, so I'm not sure of bias.

yes we have a fleet of Holdens, but I am not opposed to 'stooping' to a Ford or other in order to get something that ticks boxes.

• dual cab pref
  • duties include racecar towage, camping activities, and still some occasional family duties.
  • must have reverse camera, sat nav, parking sensors. I want android/apple car play which IMO rules out req for the sat nav that Mr has on the req list.

I pref the up spec stuff where possible to get the tick boxes.

so far Ranger & Colorado are where we are at, not sure if the BT50 is much different being its a ranger with a different hat.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
With no personal experience, but going by tall tales,
Ranger .... must first be a Fordophile, so recommend having joining Australian Ford Forum for info and biased opinions..
5 cylinder can overheat and blow gaskets. Auto gear box ..... lucky dip getting good or bad one.
Ford servicing dealers are as good as Holden servicing dealers. ;)

Isuzu DMax is not a Colorado, but one of the last of the Colorados may be better than DMax..

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
With no personal experience, but going by tall tales,
Ranger .... must first be a Fordophile, so recommend having joining Australian Ford Forum for info and biased opinions..
5 cylinder can overheat and blow gaskets. Auto gear box ..... lucky dip getting good or bad one.
Ford servicing dealers are as good as Holden servicing dealers. ;)

Isuzu DMax is not a Colorado, but one of the last of the Colorados may be better than DMax..

Joining Ford forum is actually a complex thing. You can’t browse without being a member and membership requires multiple validations. #toohard

so just found out there is a servicing gotcha on the ranger so it’s moving down the list.

sounds like I need to test drive all of the options.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Joining Ford forum is actually a complex thing. You can’t browse without being a member and membership requires multiple validations. #toohard

Yep, you need to be a member, and I don't remember the sign up requirements.
You also need to loose your sense of humour, do not write anything that does not conform to Ford philosophy, be offended and argumentive about the smallest detail of any constructive suggestions, and get to be really excited about a 1 litre, 3 cyl, turbo engine in a SUV.
So, nothing lost.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I had a Dmax as a mine spec vehicle for a few years on site. The site was slowly replacing the Hilux and Ranger with Dmax as they just held up better to the abuse.

I thought the ride was actually not bad. If I were looking for a dual cab that would be my pick.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Dual cab or could you maybe venture into a more conventional 4wd?
Guessing it may be to put motorbikes or similar in the back.
However could get into a Landcruiser which are stupid capable.

BT50 isnt too bad, a few famiyl members have them, they are capable.
The uncle/aunt were towing a caravan all over Aus with it along with using it for his business and it certainly has held its own.
So can recommend that in your search.