Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Used 4x4 - reviews please

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Here is a site that you don't have to be a member to read comments ... https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/ford-ranger

Have to admit that most people who put a review there are going to be whinging about something or other which is not to their liking.
If you do a product review search on Colorado, DMax, BT-50, Navara, Hilux .... you will get pretty much the same comments problems and faults.
Have you thought about a cheap and cheerful, disposable 4X4 from Korea or China (cough, cough, gag taste in throat o_O ), their new price equals used price of the other established brands, and they probably come with your 'tick the box' list.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Look at the D-Max Danni, hubby has one that we bought for towing the camper. He did the research across social media and the D-Max won hands down everytime. It tows very well, don't notice even on uphill runs.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Any particular reason for a pickup rather than a 4x4?
Pickups have archaic rear suspension as they are designed for carrying stuff. When unloaded they ride terribly. Plus rear space is compromised.

I went for a 2014 Mitsubishi Challenger. Basically a Triton but with proper rear suspension and an estate rear end. Rear passenger seats are still not great but feels less hemmed in than a dual cab.

You can't beat a pickup for prices though, but nicely equipped version get expensive.
Hilux is the car to beat I think, but priced as such. Never seen good reviews of Dmax or Colorado.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Firstly, work out what you want to do with it and go for the features that will best suit your needs.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Here is a site that you don't have to be a member to read comments ... https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/ford-ranger

Have to admit that most people who put a review there are going to be whinging about something or other which is not to their liking.
If you do a product review search on Colorado, DMax, BT-50, Navara, Hilux .... you will get pretty much the same comments problems and faults.
Have you thought about a cheap and cheerful, disposable 4X4 from Korea or China (cough, cough, gag taste in throat o_O ), their new price equals used price of the other established brands, and they probably come with your 'tick the box' list.
did look at the cheap disposable ones too. the $$ make it hard to ignore them

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Any particular reason for a pickup rather than a 4x4?
Pickups have archaic rear suspension as they are designed for carrying stuff. When unloaded they ride terribly. Plus rear space is compromised.

I went for a 2014 Mitsubishi Challenger. Basically a Triton but with proper rear suspension and an estate rear end. Rear passenger seats are still not great but feels less hemmed in than a dual cab.

You can't beat a pickup for prices though, but nicely equipped version get expensive.
Hilux is the car to beat I think, but priced as such. Never seen good reviews of Dmax or Colorado.

Towing cars and taking the load off the VS ute. so for us keeping a tray is needed. its hardly really going to see much 4x4. Ponde and similar regional racetracks turn into a swamp when it gets a big of rain, so thats all the 4x4 I expect it to do.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would seriously consider NX Pajero, Pajero Sport, or Triton, just for the Super-Select gearbox alone (in both auto and manual), not to mention their towing capacities. I personally know people who own the NX and the Pajero Sport and they're actually really capable and reliable, not to mention have pretty nice interiors. I think a lot of uninformed people just hang crap on them for being a Mitsubishi. Even the older ones are really decent value for money.

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Would seriously consider NX Pajero, Pajero Sport, or Triton just for the Super-Select gearbox alone (in both auto and manual), not to mention their towing capacities. I personally know people who own the NX and the Pajero Sport and they're actually really capable and reliable, not to mention have pretty nice interiors. I think a lot of uninformed people just hang crap on them for being a Mitsubishi. Even the older ones are really decent value for money.
test drove the triton the other night, value wise its a front runner, you get a fair chunk of features for not as much coin.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My brother has a Triton and seems happy with it, spends a bit of time on the beaches up North on his regular fishing trips. My only issue with it is the lack of room but then I'm 6'6" so most vehicles are like that.