Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

useless CAI?

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
Ok, i know this may sounds stupid, but ive been thinkin about my CAI for a while now and cant see how it would work to my advantage watsoever...
I have a VS Maloo that is stock, with the standard HSV OTR CAI down to the air box and into the engine... now my problem:bang:... with the Maloo front bar (im guessin is same for clubsports etc) the bonnet actually lips over the front bar meaning all (well at least most of) the air would go straight to the radiator and id get nothing into the CAI?? Is there something im missing or should i look at getting a different CAI? i know with my last VS, i had a GTO style front end fitted and was faced with the same problem but i got a Pod n shroud off a mate and it seemed to do the job sittin behind the headlight, only thing is ive heard a fair bit of negativity about the Pods so dont think i should go down the same path...??

Suggestions:w00t:?

In between the headlights above the grill... no gap?
HSVCruise2.jpg

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
ive seen some ppl run a thick tube from underneath the bumper to there CAI

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Look to me like HSV gave you a lovely hole in the bumper for a nice CAI

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
haha but something you also need to remember... CAIs do not need to have air rammed at them. The motor will develop the flow and suck in the air it needs. They only need to have a feeding area of cooler air than most.. At the end of the day, your stock one is not losing you any power really, you will not work miracles changing it, money and time better spent elsewhere. HSV are not entirely stupid, they haven't put it there for fun.

Cooler air from in front of the radiator = yay... your cold air intake is working just fine.

Just a thought :)
Sam

sir355

Father Figure
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SENATOR 215, HZ ute
keep your hsv set up, cut a circular hole in the bottom of the airbox and through the steel it sits on, run some ducting pipe ( wat ever size turns you on ) from that hole to the passenger side brake duct or passengerside of the main duct in your front bar, make sure it runs down and trhen back up to the hole in the bar and drill a little hole in the lowest part of the ducting so that any water that may get in there will drain out.. I have seen the benifits of this first hand, you can't get much better and it costs you stuff all!! nuff said

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh what sir355 said i'd do that, i had a stock vr v6, put the ecotec s/c otr cai on (same as your clubby one) and you could feel the diference, i thought the bonnet might have been crushing the intake, but yes it does work, seen the hole trick on a work mates vnss, and yes it does work wonders, costs what ever you want it to cost (material wise) and takes no time to do, good luck with it.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
This doesn't help your question at all but nice ute!!

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Look to me like HSV gave you a lovely hole in the bumper for a nice CAI
I have to agree here, nothing better then knowing your car is sucking from the optimum position.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The radiator doesn't let all the air through it. It is also a high pressure area, with the intake being above the radiator, the air that is being forced around the radiator will make it's way straight into the intake anyway.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Leave it stock. Don't ruin a genuine maloo by cutting holes in steel.For the 2 kw gain, its not worth it.