Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a different brand of Pod filter.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I currently have a MACE CAI fitting to my ecotec, however I been looking at swapping the filter it comes with to a different brand, namely K&N. But I have a few questions first,

If I get a filter that requires oil, do I just have to clean the MAF more, or am I going to get other issues?

Do I just get any filter that fits? Or do the dimension have to be specific? I was looking at this one (href="http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RG-1001BL ) which has a 4" diameter, but comes with a 3"adapter.

Thanks guys.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I don't think oiling a filter is needed on on any filter , as I think it can foul the MAF sensor , I would think so long as the filter is the same size as the Mace one it should be fine , but why do you want to replace the filter ?, I have a Mace intake on my SV6 , and think the filter is fine .

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I got 2 dry pods the same.
I wash the filter and leave in the sun to dry.
I clean all the intake and put the spare pod on.
I`m ready to drive off while the other pod is still drying.
I think you are wasting money with using oil when you don`t really need it.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have a dry pod on my Jackaroo.
The amount of **** I cleaned off of my MAF the other day, leads me to believe I need a oiled air filter/or a dry one of much better quality.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the oil does the filtering dirt sticks to the oil

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Go for a cheaper pod that's still oiled. Will be bugger all difference compared to the K&N. People only run into problems when they go nuts when they reoil it and it coats the MAF.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
the oil does the filtering dirt sticks to the oil

Go for a cheaper pod that's still oiled. Will be bugger all difference compared to the K&N. People only run into problems when they go nuts when they reoil it and it coats the MAF.

This and this.
Rep points coming both your way.

capsey7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute V6 3.8L
Sorry to start up a thread from last year. But I have a mace cai with the saas pod that it comes with, how do I clean these pods? As they are a dry pod, or do I just get a recharge kit and only put a small amount of oil on it? And can a k&n recharge kit be used on the saas pod? Sorry for asking so much, have seen too many people kill their maf from not doing this properly.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Buy a new Saas pod filter from Auto Barn or Supercheap an whack it on i never bother with oil. Cheaper and easier to do that then bother with cleaning an oiling all the time.

capsey7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute V6 3.8L
Seems to be the easiest thing, reason i ask is because i got given a k&n recharge kit from a mate. Guess thats the perks of knowing k&n reps.