Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a OBD2 Connector for my VS

hillboy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey there, i recently brought a cheapo obd2 cable from ebay thinking it would suit my Vs. I found out that although they have the obd2 plug they are ALDL obd1 data? Question is, is there any way of making the cable work with some sort of software or even some basic soldering?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Hey there, i recently brought a cheapo obd2 cable from ebay thinking it would suit my Vs. I found out that although they have the obd2 plug they are ALDL obd1 data? Question is, is there any way of making the cable work with some sort of software or even some basic soldering?

Yes that is correct, you want a connector like THIS and THIS Software and then THIS adx for logging, the interface above is OBDII not OBDI

DavoVP

Reaction score
Hi all, Thread dig yeah.

I have a SCI OBD-II style connector made by enginuity. I am not having much luck connecting with it. Has anyone had any experience with these connectors ?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
if your using that on pre VY V6 it wont work. Use the connector i have linked above.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
What kind of ecu am I interesting in?!? WTF.

DavoVP

Reaction score
if your using that on pre VY V6 it wont work. Use the connector i have linked above.

I believe that to be true for the OBD-II interface connector. All though the SCI ( Serial Converter Interface ) OBD-II style connector seems to talk serial and supports a wide range or baud rates.

You are probably correct though, as far I can tell the pin outs on the OBD-II style connectors on the vr-vs are unique to Australia and the SCI connector is designed to be used with some american model's. No matter what I try I cant get it to com.

Just thought Id let everyone know my findings just in case someone is trying to use the same device.

Is VL400 still making these connectors ? I really only need it to clear some air bag fault codes and the occasional data logging to see where everything is at.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yes still making them, anything in the forsale section is still being sold.