Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a VR V8 HP Power Steering hose on a VS V8??

orinoko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina S2
Hi!

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now.

I have a VS Calais V8 Series II and the power steering failed while I was around the corner from my place, a few weeks ago.

I had noticed the pump was whining for a while when I turned the wheel, and since technically the pump is easier to try to replace than the rack, I got myself a replacement pump.

I've done this kind of work before, and I am aware that late model VRs and (all?) VS V8 pumps have this short high pressure metal pipe that screws into the back of the pump, goes over the top of it and out to the right. The actual High Pressure hose that is attached to the rack then gets attached to this metal pipe. I presume this just makes it easier to remove the pump, since this means you don't need to try to fit a wrench done next to the pump and remove it from behind the pump, like on a VN and VP (I've got a VP V8 too so I know that this setup exists on these models).

So, I am able to remove the pump with this metal pipe and the bracket all together, and manage to remove most of the bolts off the pump, except one that sits right behind this line, oh and the line itself. The HP pipe refuses to budge.

Last night, after yanking and pulling for who knows how long, I manage to get the bolt to turn, except the line turned with it, and now it has a kink in it.

Half an hour of googling later, I am unable to find any information about this pipe. I don't even have a name for it. The only mentions I have seen are about people asking if they can just remove it because it is ugly. But they never seem to answer the question -

If removing the use of this small metal pipe from the HP line requires using a different HP line from the rack, am I able to use a HP Power Steering hose from a VR V8 with ABS on a VS V8 with ABS? Could I not just connect the HP hose directly to the back of the pump, just like a earlier model VR V8 does??

Any help with this is appreciated!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I've not had that much experience with the VS V8 line layout but I can't see any issue why the hose can't be substituted for the VR unit as the engine Bay layout is pretty much the same. The pumps are an identical Saginaw design in both models.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Can't help you with your question, but attached is a diagram of the VRII/VS power steering hose diagram. Why wouldn't you just source a replacement VS part?

Attachments

• VRII-VS Power Steering Pump & Hose Routing.jpg
    VRII-VS Power Steering Pump & Hose Routing.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,944

orinoko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina S2
Can't help you with your question, but attached is a diagram of the VRII/VS power steering hose diagram. Why wouldn't you just source a replacement VS part?

Thanks for this! That'll help. Having a good look through it, the top left image doesn't have the high pressure line illustrated, while bottom left has a part of it shown, it doesn't make mention of it. The two rightmost images are for the placement of the high pressure hose under the engine and onto the rack.

I'd love to get a replacement part. Do you know what I should be asking for?

orinoko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina S2
I've not had that much experience with the VS V8 line layout but I can't see any issue why the hose can't be substituted for the VR unit as the engine Bay layout is pretty much the same. The pumps are an identical Saginaw design in both models.

Yeah I know they used essentially the same set up for the V8 option between the VN to VT series 1 for the power steering side of things. Only real changes were in the positioning of the lines. And this stupid little metal pipe they introduced.

The other problem is, the car is parked in my apartment carpark so I can't move it to a mechanics, so I'll have to do any work under the car in the carpark with a 3 storey drop right in front of the car. Not sure if security will be happy with this one. Already been caught replacing suspension parts and a fuel line...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I do have the VS Parts Microfische that I can look up the correct part and number for you so this way you can just ask for the part by number and ensure you obtain the correct part by name, of which I'll give that to you as well if you like.

sadly Holden stopped producing Parts books at the end of VL Production and thus all parts enquiries are via Holden's online system that only dealers have access to. Really miss the hardcopy books and thus I have a set of Microfische and a reader for my convenience and others that want it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think Sparesbox sells the high pressure line for a V6 if they are the same as V8. I had one in my watch list on eBay, not sure if i still have it there.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
Don't calais models have different (speed variable) power steering to other level cars?

Or is that just the rack?

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
Power head is different on the variatronic steering, about 1 inch taller and line connections are rotated toward the front of the car, meaning thepowersteer lines do not match up with the standard power head. They could be bent to conform but its a big risk to try not to kink the line.

Can't find the V8 VS powersteer lines anywhere, likewise trans lines for VS V8!
Holden haven't stocked them since 2009 (in Qld anyway) and most parts places can't help you.
Custom hard lines or call out ol mate from Pirtek or Enzed to make up a few lines.