Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Driving/ Fog lights at night

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
aren't fog lights yellow? cause in areas of high fog they have more of a yellow street light rather than the clear/white street lights.

not most factory ones.

oh and fogs should not dazzle anyone, ever.

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
yes yellow is for light white is a driving light

the police in the city are very strict on what lights you use and location but they are much easier going here in the outback many have spot lights on top of the bull bar and on the roof

a question do you have standard bulbs in the car because most of those low down light should not effect other motorists

I would find out where you can get a your main and fog lights checked out they may be misaligned and that is what is causing the problem RAC Perth used to give a free check

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Most fog lights don't have cut offs, so the light isn't directed away from the eyes of oncoming drivers like headlights are. Plus, heaps of people do lower their cars, and put HID's or aftermarket globes in the fog lights.

Real foglights are blinding. Doing a lot of country driving, you get sick of fog lights and misaligned lights pretty quickly.

Btw, commodore fog lights are really there for aesthetic reasons. Real fog lights are much worse.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
It is illegal to use Fog Lights in conjunction with the headlights.

It is illegal to use Fog Lights at any time other than during periods of low visibility resulting from fog, smoke, dust. At ALL other times, of low visibility, headlights are required to be activated. There are very specific penalties for misuse of Fog Lights (fines and points) and regardless of the opinion of some, Fog Lights do not have a controlled beam such as headlights and their bright light can result in dazzling on-coming motorists. It is an offence to cause oncoming motorists to be 'dazzled' by overly bright lights plus it can also be $@#&^%#@ dangerous for them.

If you are in any doubt as to your responsibility I suggest you obtain a copy of the Road Code from your respective Motor Registration Departments. In the meantime. have a good read of the accompanying document http://www.rego.act.gov.au/__data/a...33/70,055-Headlights-and-Lamps-Info-Sheet.pdf from the ACT Authorities, it is a good indication of the requirements for Australian motorists and compliance with ADRs (Australian Design Rules) Australian Design Rules

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The rules are different in different states, but it's illegal to use fog lights in NSW except in adverse weather (eg. rainy or foggy), and driving lights are considered the same as high beam (as they usually have more power than high beam).
If a HWP person is in a grumpy mood, you can be fined for using either in traffic, and I know people who've copped a fine (which doesn't bother me as a pet peeve is people who drive around with their fog-lights on but not their high beams 'cos they think it looks "cool").

Daytime running lights are a different thing altogether, they are considered more like parkers; I've noticed a part called "sports black DRL surrounds" for VF's, so I suspect that those standard lights in the usual position for fog lights or driving lights are actually Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) on a VF. This is just an "I suspect", I've not got my hands on the owner's manual yet.

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
As said, fog lights are for fog, heavy fog, and it's not "cool" or legal to run with them on unless it's VERY foggy.

No point in having them on if there are only light patches of fog now and then............Simply run with your low beams on.

I've only had to use mine on the VE once, climbing up the range from the Gold Coast going to Warwick before it was light very early one morning.
They simply spread low light in front of the vehicle for me to see clearly ahead.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
As said, fog lights are for fog, heavy fog, and it's not "cool" or legal to run with them on unless it's VERY foggy.

No point in having them on if there are only light patches of fog now and then............Simply run with your low beams on.

Well said that man.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
are you kidding?
having fog lights on 100% of the time makes you and your car 100% cooler!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are the lights fitted standard into the VF (SS range at least - down low in the bumpers) daytime running lights?
I don't actually get the car nor it's owner's manual 'til Sunday week.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
It is illegal to use Fog Lights in conjunction with the headlights.

If you are in any doubt as to your responsibility I suggest you obtain a copy of the Road Code from your respective Motor Registration Departments. In the meantime. have a good read of the accompanying document http://www.rego.act.gov.au/__data/a...33/70,055-Headlights-and-Lamps-Info-Sheet.pdf from the ACT Authorities, it is a good indication of the requirements for Australian motorists and compliance with ADRs (Australian Design Rules) Australian Design Rules

From the link from the ACT you gave.

As a minimum, they must only be able to operate when the park lights are on.

Doesn't state you can't use them in conjunction with your headlights.

http://www.allianz.com.au/car-insur...ghts-headlights-fog-lights-and-driving-lights

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/lights-and-horns.html

Nothing about not being able to use your headlights at the same time as fog lights

If that was the case my VF CalaisV would automatically switch off my headlights when I turn on my fog lights which they don't