Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

using existing amplifier with jvc head unit

spadar

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh2 statesman
hi.i have just received a jvc kw-av60bt head unit from ryda.com--(awesome service)-- wanted the kw-av61bt but it is apparently not available in OZ yet. i have been told the jvc HU will not power up the 8" woofers in the rear.can the current amp be connected, and if it can be connected is there a wiring/circuit diagram available.the current unit is a eurovox maestro with cassette and 10 stacker.the car is a whII statesman.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The amplifier is fed signal from the head unit which is all you need to do with the new one. I'm not sure where the factory amp is, in the back somewhere, and most likely uses some sort of high level input.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
As far as I am aware the rear 8"s just run off the rear channel from your headunit. I have a crappy old JVC headunit in my Calais and the shelf 8"s are powered by it. Install the headunit as per normal and you will find that the 8" subs work as before with the Eurovox. You have no control over them, however, other than to fade between front and rear as they run off the rears.

I believe the factory amp is in the boot on the passenger side somewhere. I've had a very quick check for myself but couldn't find it and gave up. If you find it, please take a photo and post back in this thread.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
you don't need to do anything special. Just install the headunit as per usual. Factory amp is fed trigger from an accessories feed and receives its input from the rear speakers using a high level feed.

spadar

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh2 statesman
hi,well thank you all for your positive comments.
first the original amp --yes it's there in the boot but i didn't find it either.
and
The 60BT was installed yesterday afternoon and after testing has come up trumps using ALL the original speakers--tweeters, mid range and subwoofers.
All functions work well and even the genuine GM-H subwoofers are working which apparently is uncommon.
The camera produces a pixel flickering (to my eyes) at night but in daylight the image is excellent. The camera is an eBay purchase and is supposedly from sony.
the number plate led light attached to the camera is pure white and the standard incandescent reversing lights also operate with at present one original incandescent number plate light which may be contributing to the pixel flicker.
Fun_Bucket, Mk2 and Tasmaniak -- i believe you guys were on track with getting the genuine holden amp/subwoofers to work--- don't ask, please, how it was done neither myself or my mate, who installled the 60BT, know what happened.
but remember it is a holden and a WHII statesman.
so thanks again. love that car.cheers

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
The factory amp is on the passenger side of the boot mounted behind a thin metal upright. Well at least it is in my VXII R8. 4 screws all that hold it there. If you undo a few bits of the trim on the side you will see the 4 screws and know exactly where it is. On mine, there was nowhere I could see to adjust the gain to extract a little more oomph from the tiny factory subs. Still sounds decent for a 'stock' stereo :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
lol, mate, we know exactly how it was done... When you wired in the rear speakers... you also wired in the subs. Ya just didn't know it ;)

spadar

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh2 statesman
hi aaaah well no matter the main thing now is the subs wofrk.but---- thanks again for all those who assisted.love that car.cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
The factory amp is on the passenger side of the boot mounted behind a thin metal upright. Well at least it is in my VXII R8. 4 screws all that hold it there. If you undo a few bits of the trim on the side you will see the 4 screws and know exactly where it is. On mine, there was nowhere I could see to adjust the gain to extract a little more oomph from the tiny factory subs. Still sounds decent for a 'stock' stereo :)

For the record, there is nowhere. On the Ford's was a different story as they just a basic Alpine four channel.

Sparse, glad your happy mate.