Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Oil (Part 2)

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
10000Km's ago I posted that my engine oil light went on. Holden started an oil consumption report and asked me to notify them if it happens again.
Yesterday my oil warning light went on again. I took the car in this morning and they measured the loss, 3.1 litres in 10K km's. I believe the acceptable loss is 2-2.5L over 10K km's. They said they need to notify Holden as to what is the recommended action because this loss indicates a problem. I asked what is the most common 'fix' for this. He replied that he has not yet seen a VE at his dealership with that level oil loss......might be BS but he said they might need to go right back to the rings.
There is no smoke even on acceleration, so I do not think it can be the rings so where the hell does it go? Anyone else had oil consumption issues and maybe a guess at what is the likely cause?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
id push for a new crate engine to be put in, is the exhaust tips sooty at all, alot of engines wont blow alot of smoke, even when they are burning oil, all depends on the quantity being burnt at the time

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i know its a bit different but my mates 2008 honda cbr1000rr is using 900ml per 1000k's of oil, which is a **** load, my 2 stroke doesnt use that much,
its booked in for next week to get the rings replace buy honda

also it does not blow any smoke

so maybe your rings are stuffed as well

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
i know its a bit different but my mates 2008 honda cbr1000rr is using 900ml per 1000k's of oil, which is a **** load, my 2 stroke doesnt use that much,
its booked in for next week to get the rings replace buy honda

also it does not blow any smoke

so maybe your rings are stuffed as well

lol's my 05 husky te450 with 7500+ km and 200 hours dosnt burn a drop

it guite possible the rings havnt bedded in right

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
its seems to be a common problem with the new cbr, there is a thread over 100 pages long on one of the cbr forums about it. his bike has about 3000k's on it, and thats after honda's 1000k test.

but thats a stupid amount of oil, my 89 model RGV 2 stroke with 65000k's on it doesnt use that much oil, and its meant to burn oil

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
tips are somewhat sooty, must be rings in that case....waiting for Holden to get back to Holden to get back to me....if you know what I mean.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
itll either be rings or guides I'd check for blow-by whilst you have it. Dumd ****e americans cant get tolerances right whern they machine it. I doubt that any new motor would get their clearances checked

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
itll either be rings or guides I'd check for blow-by whilst you have it. Dumd ****e americans cant get tolerances right whern they machine it. I doubt that any new motor would get their clearances checked

more likely to be rings, guides would generally be prominent when starting the car or big closed throttle down hill runs etc