Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using to much water/coolant

Just.in.it.4.cars

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Calais
hello everyone all new to this so i might be a little wild lol anyway down to buisness i have a vr commodore and the head gasket isnt blown the oil is fine nice and clean but it is using to much water any ideas??

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
inlet manifold gaskets, water pump leak, hose leaks, have you check all over for leaks? Or signs of leaks such as white power marks.

patmac64

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997vs executive
similar problem on this site not too long ago;the advice was could be inlet manifold gasket!

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Some suggestions:-

1. Open the oil filler cap and look insdie and under the cap... If the oil does not look 'Milky'... this is good.
  2. If the coolant does not look 'Milky' and/or discoloured/dirty... this is good.
  3. Car not overheating, this is good.
  4. Can't see any water on the ground after a drive(So car is hot/warm..), this is good as well.
  5. Start the car, open bonnet and squeazy the hoses to see if you have pressure(Carefull they can be very hot so use a towel..) No pressure=bad :(... you lave a leak somewhere.
  6. Check under you dash so any wet patches as the heater core could have a spilt.

The one thing you cannot check is the inlet manifold gasket as the water will be burnt in the combustion chamber as part of the air induction, no evidence.

Good luck... ;)

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
prob inlet manifold gasket

I had the same problem, kept going through water approx half a liter a week or more. Was the inlet manifold gasket.

Just.in.it.4.cars

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Calais
thanks for all the ideas checked them all over adn ended up being the smallest thing i was only running water cause i have only just completed a engine conversion and i pulled the top radiator hose thing off and didnt have a thermo stat so she has coolant and a thermo adn runs greatr now cheers, justin