Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

using v6 turbo rods

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i havne't been on here for a while, for those who may remember me i turboed my vn v6 and was all starting to go well till my throttle jammed and i did a big end bearing..
well i now have my motor out and apart. i have some double dot turbo con rods i was hoping to use. i did think of using the old pistons. but they have a smaller pin and also i think they are too short.
my question is:
is there anyone who knows anything about using these rods in a series 1 v6.
if i bought a set of grand national pistons. will they fit and will they give me the 7.9 compression like they should...
any info will be more than handy..
here is a link of some i thought i might buy: eBay Motors: 1975-1987 V6 3.8L 231 BUICK HYPEREUTECTIC PISTONS STD (item 270282253905 end time Feb-28-09 17:56:37 PST)
they have the right pin size and bore size..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Defa they do fit but the piston needs a little grind for clearance I think? Someone on the SC forums was running them a couple of years ago you will likely find the answer there

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i had a look on SC and there was just so much stuff to filter though i gave up.. when i looked up non turbo buick pistons on US ebay they had a small pin size. it isn't a lot..
i measured a turbo rod and it is about 1 cm shorter than the stock one. so thats why i thought i might have to by turbo pistons. and in the pic they look higher..
i wished i could find that thread in SC. you don't remember the forum members name do ya???

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
"hi, i had a piston in the v6 block, the turbo buick setup, go to turn it around, clunk, what, clunk, the counterweight was hitting on the skirt of the piston, i had to grind away some of the piston to clear the counter weight..

i phoned up the wanker from suburban imports, and he gave me the usual wanky response " i`ve sold 300 sets and never had a problem..."

there is NO WAY the pistons would fit as he said "they drop straight in, )"

you have to grind the skirt away....

anyway all the pistons are in, everything clears.......
"

From user krawczuk

I've stole a picture from his thread too hope he doesn't mind:p, now if no one has anymore questions I need to go water my garden for a few hours: )

Attachments

• lowresturbostdpiston.JPG
    lowresturbostdpiston.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 179

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
sorry. i thought you meant the stock pistons will fit. so you meant the turbo ones will fit..
that pic says it all. thanks heaps for that... found that fella. just looking at this thread nows..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
hes back so you got round to measuring the piston after our chat shame the stock dont fit you going to get the engine rebalanced i presume

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
good to see you back mate, i remember reading in another thread that the US turbo rod/piston are heavier then our standard rod/piston combo and you will need to do a heavy metal ballance job.

also upgrade the oil pressure relief spring to the ecotec model. then you'll have good oil pressure and hopefully no more spun bearings

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah i was going to message that bloke on SC and ask him what the go was with adding mallory to the crank. i don't really understand how that works. does it mean the counter weights are not heavy enough for the pistons and rods???

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
tep basically thats what the go is youll need to balance it properly. Also is those pistons on ebay are stock i would check your bore first to make sure there isnt too much clearance if theyre oversized youll need you block bore/honed to suit

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i am just honing it. the bore is fine and stock size.
as delcowizard has pointed out to me those pistons may not need anything ground off either