Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Vinegar to flush out Cooling System

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Has anyone tried using vinegar to flush out their cooling system? I've heard it works well, though never tried it myself. The only problem I can see is that it will clean out so much crap that I may have some holes that will no longer be blocked (This is in my old Skyline not my Berlina)
Was going to fill it with 2-4 litres of vinegar, run the car until the thermostat opens, then drain out the vinegar, fill with water, repeat, then drain and fill with coolant.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Cheers.

petergl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore super 6
Never tried vinegar. I think if u have no probs with car temps or car heating up just do a standard flush. I'm guessing vinegar can damage the motor cause of the salt content and might corrode and stick to some things. Hope this helps

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Haven't heard this one,but in theory it should work. Vinegar is acidic, but running it till it's hot may make your car smell like a winery every time you turn the heater/air con on ( not good when you get pulled over at the breatho ).

petergl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore super 6
Yea thought about the smell it wouldn't be the best but I guess if u do do it it will eventually smell less over time

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Smell isn't an issue, I rarely drive the car, it's pretty much just for drift / touge / track sort of fun :D. I might try a diluted solution, 50/50 water and vinegar, I'd like to do a decent flush because the radiator was full of muck, I imagine all the block etc is in the same condition.

petergl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore super 6
I got this from google for ya

So its got me thinking since vinegar worked way better than chemical rust removal products, why wouldnt it work for a radiator flush. Iv used the prestone flushes for a while but still have little result. Couldnt find anything on the binderplanet but when googled, many forums discussed how you shouldnt do it , but they were worried about their aluminum engines and exotic materials that might suffer when exposed to the vinegar. Not having an aluminum block I cant see why it shouldnt work. Standard routine- Pull out thermostat, Do a 50/50 mix water/vinegar, run it till hot let it sit for a few hours or overnight? Flush with water, drain, fill with coolant.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate, I happen to read that. Google didn't provide a heap of information. I think I'll give it a go, maybe 50/50 vinegar and water. I really don't see that causing a lot of harm, considering how strong proper radiator flush is.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I've always found standard radiator flush works very well, why not stick to that? After I did my manifold gaskets I ran some and it got rid of all the milky deposits in about 2 flushes

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Radiator flush does work pretty well I agree, but I have a lot of vinegar here :p, and I've got a small dog, I'd prefer not to use harsh chemicals where possible, and lastly .. always been curious by this, so want to test it out.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Let us know how it turns out sweefu. I'm quite interested in this one. The less chemicals we need to use the better.