Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ute not shifting properly

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am having shifting issues again. This eve it wasn't going into 4th. The shifts are taking way too long and it has now started to seem like its in neutral and revving out. I am leaning towards TPS but the TPS is only 12 months old or less. I really don't know why these parts are only lasting a year before they give out. I have bought the part from Repco, Bursons and eBay yet none of the Delphi sensors are lasting.

Now my biggest problem is I am 100km away from anywhere to buy a part. Is there anything I can try to get the ute back to Town? Can I reset it some how? Can i try cleaning it with brake cleaner? This is all presuming the issue is the TPS.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Honestly these replacement parts are never made to the same specs as genuine OEM stuff. I seem to find myself scoring parts like that from VY Ecotecs as they are the youngest of all the Ecotecs and as such you'll get the longest life from them compared to finding way earlier VS parts.

I understand you need Buick parts and this probably isn't helping, but a lot of bits will correlate across to Buick, but not TPS sadly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah genuine OEM would be best. This so called OEM are junk. Trouble is for the Buick there is junk or worse junk as the two choices.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any thoughts on removing the TPS amd cleaning it with brake cleaner? I don't have many options unfortunately.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd use a CRC Contact Cleaner opposed to brake cleaner as the contact cleaner leaves a lubricant behind which enhances electrical continuity opposed to brake cleaner that leaves everything totally dry and thus not much electrical continuity at all which is probably where your problem lies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had to use brake cleaner, had no contact cleaner. Seems to be ok at the present but not sure how long it will last.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
well that's a step in the right direction I guess of identifying the culprit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I'm hoping it gets me back to Town. If it does and keeps going until Monday I can get a price on the part and then either go to Repco or try Merv Gray.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I assume you are not getting any error codes logged? One thing you could try, is running a separate cable from the TPS to the PCM to rule out any wiring problems.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Might be just the plug connection wasn't making a tight clean contact, as they run on very low voltage any grime or being loose will intermit the signal giving a false reading.