Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ute Rear Speaker Wires

Ute Pimp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Ute
Hi Guys,

I have been searching for a couple of days but I can't find a definitive answer. I would like to know if there are any wires that I can use to connect a line converter to run an amp in a ute. I am happy with the sound from the front speakers and just want to hook up the back, are there any in the harness? If I have to go for the conversion kit then I will but I have the car pulled apart and want to get it finished straight away. Any chance of using the mobile phone speaker wires and another couple..? They look like they are the back left wires, mabz the head will just need reprogramming. I guess I can piggyback onto the front speaker wires since the amp will have a remote gain control. As for the amp remote power on/off, do most people just piggyback onto the yellow acc power wire..?

Cheers for the help.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hi mate...welcome to the forums ;)

The rear speaker wiring should be at the plug behind the stereo, and it *might* end in the passenger side kick panel like the VR/S. If not then just "tap" into the rear speaker wires at the stock stereo plug and run these to your LOC.

As far as the remote wire goes, i suppose the acc wire will work....but you may get a turn on "pop" from the sub when you turn the head-unit on.

Devils_Thunder

Riding high...
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Captiva.....
I hooked a line converter into the front speaker wires (To make the rear speaker output work the H/U will need to be reprogrammed).

I used the loom behind the the panel on the right side of the passenger foot well (I think it is for the phone kit).

It has everything you need, tap into the front speaker wires and an accessory wire for the amp turn on.

Mine doesn't go pop when you tun the system on, must only be only some amps that do this. my line converter has an earthing terminal that may also help.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Really? So you need to re-program the head-unit in the utes to get the rear ouputs to work?

Well theres something new :)

Ute Pimp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Ute
Cheers guys,

I have been testing the wires in the mobile phone loom against the wires from the plug at the back of the stereo, it would appear that there are only two speaker wires. If the back speaker wires are in the loom then they don't match the colour coding from the sticky thread. So I am thinking it will just be easier to use the front speaker wires (however this won't solve the problem if I want rear speakers down the track). I might see how it goes and if I am not happy with it then go for the conversion kit.

Would you normally strip back the wires and solder on the wire for the LOC? I was thinking it might be easier to use a scotch lock and drill out one of the end stops. This way it will splice over the wire and be easy to remove later.

Thanks all.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
Really? So you need to re-program the head-unit in the utes to get the rear ouputs to work?

Well theres something new :)

being a ute the rear channels arent enabled. well in the newer head units they're not. (vt onwards) idno about the vs

Ute Pimp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec Ute
Ok, I have had some good results with scotch locks in the past, but I'll solder it since it is running an amp this time. I don't think I will be able to get a tube on the wires in the harness unless you can split them down one side, but will they still shrink onto the wire.. I have a heap of 'em so I'll give it a crack anyway.

I will attach some picks of the box I made to fit behind the seat once I install it all.

Cheers

cameron20020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 1990 V6 3.8L
lol i work for telstra, we use scotch locks, or scotchies as we call them, prettymuch for everything.

they are fine if they are kept in a cold/dry place, and arent moved around
even though they say they are waterproof, thats bullshit, they eventually corrode

honestly, solder stuff, takes abit longer, but telstra has soldered cable joints that are around 60 to 80 years old, and they are still working perfectly

the scotchies just eventually go open circuit, or **** up somehow