Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ute sound systems

Ben1988

Reaction score
I own a vs series 3 spack ute i have decked out the cabbin with a pioneer head unit pioneer splits running off a coustic 2 chanel amp (200 watt 50rms) to each speaker and i have a kicker 2' slimline sub behind the passenger seat. It came already in a box and puts out 800wat 400rms, this is running off a pioneer 800wat 400rms 2 channel bridgeable amp. I am pretty happy with how my car sounds.. i admit you dont get the same bass from the slimlines as you do from a normal sub i think the boxes not being deep is the reason and i even think my sub could be better if it was in a bigger box.

having the sub behind the seat give no room for the passenger and u cant have the seat all the way back... but my m8s that are 6ft can fit in with leg room just not heaps..

i no the other option is putting a sub in the space where the aux fuel tank can go but i think having a sub under a stell tray and house side the cabin does nothing for bass int he cabin...

some ppl also put 6x9 and front speakers but i think thats a bit over the top.. my car is loud just with the splits and my rear view mirror moves coz of the sub i constantly have to re-adjust.

i have been told behind the passenger seat u can put a timber board down and mount the sub into the timber and cut a hole in the back wall for the magnet and then u can fit as big of a sub as u want and have the seat back but then.. its not a sealed box and the free to air subs have little bass.

the other issue is where do u fit the amps? i have mine mounted ont he back wall behind the seats they.. have not over heated yet and i run they pretty hard..

after all this i just want to no what others have done to fit subs and sound system into there ute or any ideas..

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
well 2 of my mates own vs utes they are the 3 seater type. and one has cut a hole through to the tray for the enclosure for the sub to sit and held it there with brackets. but i dont like it. and i think it may be illegal. but my other mate has a 2 channel for the speakers and a sub where the flap seat is . if you want to know anything else just let us know.

Ben1988

Reaction score
my ute is a 2 seater... yeah idont like the idea of cutting into the car u have to use a air grinder too coz the fuel tanks there.. dont want to blow urself up.. after the vs ur right they started to put more room behind the seats and if u own a ford ur laughing and u have plenty of room behind the seats i guess there is not much i can do.

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
Cutting through the back of a ute into the tray is illegal and dangerous, i wouldnt advise that....

There have been a few utes done over the years, a mate of mine has a 12" Clarion Vnet sub Between the seats in a custom enclosure, with the sub amp behind the passenger seat and the speaker amp behind the driver.

Have a look between your seats, take some measurments and build yourself a box :) even if u only go a 10".

LJS-UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY6 Ute
i drive a VY ute,
Alpine head unit with all the whizzbang ****
2 sets of Alpine Type R splits, (2 speakers in the door, 2 tweeters up by the windscreen, 2 speakers in a custom box in between the seats and the 2 other tweeters at the top of that)
2 Pioneer 12" slimline subs in a box each behind each seat
1 Precision Response 4X100wrms Amp
1 Precision Response 1X1000wrms Monoblock

id advise taking some measurements and making a template out of 3-6mm MDF of what you will require for your subs to make sure you take into account all the allowances i.e cubic litres, cone depth etc. , that way you can also move your seat foward, sit the template in place and slide your seat back and see if it will interfere with your seat position. I did a VS not that long ago using the same subs as i have and there was a decent amount of clearance between the box and my mates seat position. As for my amps i just put them under the passenger seat with a couple of computer fans under the seat hahhaha!

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
hey mate i understand where ur coming from in regards to bass, i recently had a sub and amp installed into my ute. I had a custom fibreglass ported sub box made to fit next to the fuel tank then the box ports in through the stock holes in the rear wall that simply have the small covers over it. The amp is a 4 channel amp so its also powering my 3 way door speakers. Now my systems putting out approx 125db of good quality sound. I have some photos of the box and how it all works and i will post this up for you tomorrow. Hope this has been of an assistance.

Ben1988

Reaction score
that would be great. im pretty happy how mine sounds its loud in the car u just dont hear the bass as much as u do a normal sub.. me and my m8 just fitted two clarion 12s in a custom box in his boot and in the car it goes just as car as it my ute does coz of the cabin size.. i just dont like the fact that the passenger seat sits forward...

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
yeh thats the great thing u dont have to move the seats or anything, sure u dont see the sub but it gives the passenger abit of a suprise when u turn on the stereo and the seat vibrates so much it feels like a massage seat

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
ok as promised here are some pics of my setup i hope it helps

Last edited:

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
hey i was flicking through the jaycar catalogue the other day and noticed that they have a decent little sub that would fit under the seat. well thats what its designed for if any of you ute owners want to check it out.