Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Utter confusion about trans coolers

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
FWIW, I went to the wreckers and saw many VT series 2 with same setup, VX has the cooler vertical instead of horizontal ( or is that the series 1 VT? , seen so many lately ). Still not sure if it was standard or not.
They all have mounting brackets that are rusting badly as well, I'd like to get new brackets

In pure standard form all autos are piped to run fluid through a cooling tank within the radiator assy. As an option (recommended for towing or high performance) you will see an additional (external) cooler plumbed in as well. These are generally connected in line with the fluid going through both the radiator tank and the extra external cooler before returning to the tranny. Sometimes people elect to bypass the radiator tank all together and use external coolers only as the tranny can be exposed to radiator coolant if the radiator has a catastrophic failure. That's being ultra safe but I have seen people do it.

Anyway, standard config is a tranny cooling tank built into the standard radiator. Added external tranny coolers are common, either factory or after-market.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Sometimes people elect to bypass the radiator tank all together and use external coolers only as the tranny can be exposed to radiator coolant if the radiator has a catastrophic failure.

Yes when you start seeing cloudy radiator fluid, it means you have auto trans seeping in there.

Using radiator stop leak won't fix it unless you bypass the auto trans cooler lines.

I have a VT radiator that had that problem. Not that common on Commodore (very common on the Falcon forum).

Drove around for while with radiator bypassed to oil cooler. Had radiator stop leak in there. All good until I decided to reconnect the radiator pass thru. The pressure split the old wound. Ended up getting a new radiator.

If you do bypass the oil cooler pass thru, the caps you need would be AN6 (I think, someone correct me?)

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It's scary thought anyway that a radiator problem can ruin your transmission. It's poor design really. Not such a concern on a VT 4 speed Auto, they are easy to find in the wrecking yards. My other ride , a VZ 5 speed, now that is a different box, much more expensive and much harder to find.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
99.9% of autos run fluid via the rad. It's a rare event. If the design was truly poor manufacturers wouldn't use it. In my old age I have never experienced it.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the best thing you could do is when next at the wreckers grab an auto pan and dipstick from a vxii or vy
will have deep pan stamped on the dipstick
and note they use a deep pan filter

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
the best thing you could do is when next at the wreckers grab an auto pan and dipstick from a vxii or vy
will have deep pan stamped on the dipstick
and note they use a deep pan filter

My VT II already has a deep pan

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
That's sweet but did you remove one or was there no cooler to begin with?

Original cooler is in the radiator which is now blocked off.

Attachments

• Trans Cooler.jpg
    Trans Cooler.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 243

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Original cooler is in the radiator which is now blocked off.
So that's a No. Since I meant did you remove a standalone cooler like the one I have had from new.
So, it must have be added with all tow bars at dealerships ( and a lot of VT's have towbars , thus my confusion at the self serve wreckers).

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Reading the VT owners book today I came across the towing load requirements. One is 1200-1600kg pack that a power steering cooler be fitted... power steering , not transmission. So that's what it is, the hoses are not easy to follow and clearly I didn't look close enough.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Reading the VT owners book today I came across the towing load requirements. One is 1200-1600kg pack that a power steering cooler be fitted... power steering , not transmission. So that's what it is, the hoses are not easy to follow and clearly I didn't look close enough.
Mine is 2100 kg. The external cooler was already on it when l got the car. I fitted the towbar myself. Thats why l now its 2100kg.